© 2002-2020

IMPIETY: "Worshippers of the Seventh Tyranny" - 60%

skaven, December 3rd, 2011

Worshippers of the Seventh Tyranny is a surprising album considering Impiety’s back catalogue of not-so-innovative war metal bursts. What we have here is one 38-minute song with recurring slow and rather melodic parts, and one of the key melodies of the song - a choral synth melody - sounds almost happy and hopeful (though the lyrics proclaiming nuclear holocaust imply otherwise...)! I bet this album will cause varying opinions among the band’s fans.

How successful is this daring experimentation, then? I would lean on a positive opinion though the song has it flaws too, e.g. the production could do better as the triggered drums are too much upfront so that guitars lack some punch. Also, some sections are repeated even too often, but other than that I find myself enjoying the fresh approach, and don’t you old schoolers be totally desponded: there’s those more familiar fast blast beat sections here as well! But more prominently, the album relies on epic - yet evilish - riffage in slower tempos.

I’m not sure how much I would’ve liked another album like Terroreign, so Worshippers of the Seventh Tyranny came as a welcome surprise. It’s not the most groundbreaking record of 2011 I’m sure, but an interesting journey to experience amidst all the generic Ross Bay clone bands, nonetheless.

3 / 5
[ http://www.vehementconjuration.com/ ]

Glory to the brave... - 75%

ultraviolet, June 1st, 2011

We know them and we love them. For 20 years, IMPIETY from exotic Singapore with mainman Mohammad Abdul Ariffen Deen or simply Shyaithan, hand one-piece, brutal black/death mercilessly attacking our ears. After the leader of the band changed the rest of his team, he put forward the ambitious project, namely the new full-length “Worshippers Of The Seventh Tyranny”, which consists of a single track with a duration of slightly more than 38 minutes!

“He’s out of his mind!” one would say (and probably he’d be right), but the composition proves remarkably solid and hard as steel. Throughout its duration “Worshippers…” impresses with its skillfull moving across sub-genres of extreme sound. Inside this musical piece you get fast blackthrashing metal in the veins of BLACK WITCHERY and DESTROYER 666, war-like marching death metal (BOLT THROWER surely mean something to you), but also swampy doom/death straight from the early 90s. Specifically, the can’t-get-slower part at about half-point of the song, surely aims to crush bones. And if all this music seems an odd mix to you (it shouldn’t though), please note that the result is sufficiently consistent, assisted by the notable, dry production.

Undoubtedly, “Worshippers…” requires the attention of the listener, since it is not easy listening, mainly because of the duration. But it rewards with great, harsh music those who choose to stay with it until the end. And the concept has to do with nuclear devastation accompanied by a booklet with lyrics and great artwork, making the package absolutely complete. Rush towards it without fear.

Originally written for the: http://theantifleshnimbus.wordpress.com

Calculated but colorless cacophony - 68%

autothrall, January 24th, 2011

Seven tyrannies, seven albums, and to commemorate their pungent, strong consistency of carnage throughout the past 15 years, your most hated Singaporeans Impiety have attempted something different: the single track concept album. Yes, rather than the rampant, rapid apocalyptic bits and bites of yesteryear's Kaos Kommand 696, Paramount Evil or Terroreign, you will have to endure nearly 40 minutes straight of hybridized extremity. It's a formidable prospect, for sure, but if anyone is up to such a task, why not Impiety? They're not the first Asian blackish metal band to flesh out the possibility; Sabbat of Japan comes to mind for their obscure masterwork The Dwelling, but then they've got a somewhat different palette of sounds from which they've evolved, though the influences are likely the same.

The test here is whether or not these naturally blasting mavens can pull off enough dynamic range that the listener doesn't become painfully unsettled and bored, and to an extent, Impiety have. Long, drawn out, Hellhammer or Celtic Frost-like sequences with slower riffs and Shyaithan doing a fairly obvious impression of Tom G. Warrior's classic constipated vocal style are alternated with faster riffing, taut blast beats, and strangely enough, the latter almost feel more compelling in this context, becoming hypnotic around the 15 minute mark before the song lags once more into it's careful side, which seems to almost climax right near the center, around 17 minutes with some pretty melancholic sounding melodies over the grisly, doomed rhythm guitars. There are a few drudging, lacking guitars present in certain places, some of which are simply uninspired, others which go on perhaps a moment too long, and though all the music is appropriate to the album's blasphemous, apocalyptic theme, it does somewhat lack in cohesion, with a few transitions feeling as if they were simply ground up against one another.

Now, I'm a fan of Impiety, and I actually enjoy most of their full-length albums prior to this to varying degrees, but my initial impulse was that this might not be the best use of their time. In this, I admit I was rather surprised, because while it's not one of the better single track long players I've heard in extreme metal, it's fairly professional. The sound is as focused as they've ever come across, and they've recruited Fabio Zperandio of Ophiolatry to record a few tasteful leads. To be honest, the band actually sounds far more accessible here than their older, outright blitzkriegs, and though there is nothing 'soft' or friendly about the compositions, it does lack for the nuclear fits of frenzy I've so admired in the past. Worshippers of the Seventh Tyranny is hardly scrap metal, and its execution is efficient and vaguely interesting, but against the sum of its parts, only a few sections particularly stand out, and the 40 minute epic format ultimately doesn't suit them well enough to recommend it over their past ravages.

-autothrall