© 2002-2020

A compilation of some of Impiety's best and worst. - 68%

6Toxic6Beer6, January 18th, 2019
Written based on this version: 2017, 12" vinyl, Nuclear War Now! Productions (Limited edition)

I bought this compilation a while back and had forgotten to play it as it sat in the back of my records behind much better music. I think I played it and either was doing something else or I just have a terrible memory and cannot for the life of me remember listening to this record until I played it today. Now with that sort of intro, this is the part where the reviewer is supposed to just absolutely rip this album into shreds and call it the worst piece of art since the age of the Byzantines. However, I'm not going to do that, partly because the first half of the album saves itself and because the last few songs are some of the earliest by Impiety, so we can dismiss the last four songs as just experimental.

To introduce this project: in 1990, in the forgotten kingdom of Singapore, a gentleman by the name of Shyaithan had announced the dissolution of his previous project Sexfago and the birth of Impiety. He had been sick of Sexfago's incompetent writing and lack of hateful emotion in the music. He would start with a drummer but go through many many more of them and guitarists throughout his career, and would eventually change his name from Goatlord Cuntshredder to the current, more well-mannered Shyaithan. Over the past many years, Impiety has been busy releasing dozens of material and with this record, we come to a compilation of some of Impiety's beginning work from 1991 to 1994.

The record begins with the 1993 EP that absolutely took me back while I was folding laundry. It's a pretty clear EP; the guitar riffs, the bass, the percussion, and the vocals are all distinct from each other. The riffs are absolutely solid, the drums fit in well with the aggression, and the vocals have a great sort of shriek and spit to the growling. The Sarcofago and Beherit worship is very obvious to the songs, however, I tend to think that most Beherit inspired bands often sound better than Beherit itself. That's not to discredit Beherit at all, but Beherit gave a template for bands to improve on. Given 'Drawing Down the Moon' came out in 1993, I greatly admire Shyaithan's dedication to the music at such a pivotal point in extreme metal when such music was almost impossible to find around the world (it says in the record that Holocausto is a good friend of Impiety).

Also, returning to the guitars, if I were to think of the riffs, I could also pick out some Blasphemy inspiration as well. They cause your head to bob and eventually you find yourself pretending to play the drums too, even if you have no knowledge on how to play drums. Eventually, we find ourselves at the end of the EP and the beginning of the 1992 demo.

To summarize this demo, it's much thicker than the EP and slower too. It becomes increasingly difficult to distinguish the noise into the works of the guitar and the bass, but it blasts well, it sounds gross to my glee, and the vocals are a lot more guttural. In a way, it could be mistaken for a Finnish band given the tempo and deep distortion.

As for the last four songs, I don't have much to say apart from that it's pretty forgetful and unimpressive to the rest of the compilation. They are from the very first demo all the way from 1991 of Impiety, but the quality is absolutely terrible and the songwriting just wasn't there. The record even says that Shyaithan tossed most of the songs and believed he could do better the next go-around. Personally, if you end up not liking song 9 when the first demo begins in the compilation, you may as well just shut off the record player and call it a day. It's unfortunate that the power from the first three songs does not compare well with the last couple of songs, but that only means that Impiety improved with age.

Altogether, this compilation gives an interesting take on black/death metal from the early nineties that was occurring in the Far East. The EP in the record is absolutely crushing, and as I try to explore more of Impiety's content in the future, I can only hope it gets even better. If you like Beherit, you will enjoy this compilation, and if not, give it a try anyway. I for one really enjoyed reading the names of these songs, with such 'classics' like "Cuntblasphemy: Paganistic BitchGoddess Dei-Impalation" or "Ceremonial Necrochrist Redesecration", you will at least have a laugh. Don't take this record seriously, just play it and enjoy the ride with Impiety.