© 2002-2017

Drop dead. - 30%

Palecompanion2001, May 19th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2016, CD, Independent (CD-R)

I Declare War is one of those deathcore bands that are just run of the middle. Nothing really special going on, they just have well written material which really appeals to an audience such as myself. When it comes down to it, their self titled album was really amazing, heavy, and bone crushing. Filled with I Declare War's best hits. They kept the sound and moved on to their 2014 album which was alright, nothing as special. Then they dropped this album. Dear lord, I love I Declare War so much, but this is so painfully boring it hurts to write this review. It is basically I Declare War giving the last bit of creative ideas that they have. They just dropped one very disappointing record, and it pains me to see this once powerful deathcore monster falling the way they are.this album is really boring, mostly because of the terrible chugs. The drums seem to be hitting nothing but the china symbol the entire time, and Jamie's vocals are the same as usual. Aggressive, but repetitive. Which honestly could sum up the entire album itself. This band has always had an aggressive nature which really made an appeal to them. Now it just seems they lost that spark and don't know what to do.

The guitars on this album are nothing special, literally just mostly chugs with an occasional riff here and there. Nothing attention grabbing or really note worthy. Their previous works didn't have much riffs by no means necessary but they had much better quality. They just seemed to chug and try to really be as boring as possible when writing, it just doesn't have that punch that was needed. Riffs really need to make a comeback in deathcore, this album is a example of modern boring deathcore. The drums are really nothing special, it just seemed like the drummer just hit the china cymbal and the snare the entire time. Its like he was just tired of ideas so wanted to do the most boring thing possible.

The vocals are the same as always, Jamie's really aggressive lows that just get you hyped. The instruments themselves really fail in making this an album you can get hyped too. Considering Jamie was an amazing lyricist back in the day, reading these lyrics just kind of bored me. It was cringey as well, using the song Fat Fuck for an example. "Suck on your vapor dick one more time" like fucking seriously? That is one of the dumbest excuses for a lyrical passages of all time. Just a really bad excuse in general for lyrics.

This album really has nothing going for it, they failed to deliver the aggressive tones their last albums had, and just made it boring. There is really one song only worth a shit on the album and that is Fat Fuck. All the others have no real resolution or point besides to bore you. If I Declare War call it a day here soon I wouldn't be surprised, they gave it their best and I respect that. They are just running out of ideas and in need for a major change.