The worst singing I've ever heard - 12%

PorcupineOfDoom, January 26th, 2015

Yeah, there's a reason this is rated so badly. I realise that now. But hey, Jill Janus was asked to fill in for Johan Hegg of Amon Amarth. I thought that it was worth checking out her band if she was deemed great enough to take on that role, but in all truth I'm just left questioning the management on Amon Amarth's side. Jill's voice is easily the worst part of the band, and I'm tempted to say that she's worse than any other singer I've heard. Seriously, she is that bad. Forget Johan Liiva on a bad day (the whole of Stigmata and Black Earth). Forget whatever you call the vocals in The Great Kat. Forget even the deathcore bands that use pig squeals. This is a whole new level of painful inability to sing.

Sadly, the rest of the band aren't that much better. The riffs are pretty repetitive for the most part and the drumming is none too interesting, just the typical kind of heavy metal bashing that you find with almost every new band. Having said that though, without Jill's presence they could easily have merited a score only slightly below average. The solos are nothing special but are interesting enough to listen to and while the riffs are played countless times too many they at least deliver force enough to provide a base that you'd expect the band to build on. And the drumming is at least consistent and in time.

The sheer lack of originality would be a bad thing if it were possible to kill the mood any further. Coming up with ideas might be difficult, but Huntress really seem desperate to put as little effort into their music as possible. I've heard every part of Spell Eater one too many times before, whether across this album or elsewhere.

A weird thing about this piece of crap is that it's surprisingly well produced. Everything's clean and easily heard, although it never goes overboard. My heart goes out to those that wasted countless hours of their life trying to make this sound good, because it just wasn't meant to be. Shit is shit, it doesn't matter whether it's painted gold or not. At the end of the day, no matter what the producers did Spell Eater couldn't be fixed.

I'll finish the way I started and say that Jill should really just avoid singing. She's way out of her league here and there are so many attractive women in this genre that actually can sing, she's just embarrassing herself. Hearing to her makes me consider listening to bands like Limp Bizkit to numb the pain (which is a very, very bad sign), and I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Fred Durst may actually outclass someone at something.