© 2002-2020

Paradogma sets the bar high! - 95%

littleD, April 1st, 2010

I love it when an album lives up to all your expectations and surpasses them on all levels. Sadly this is a rare occurence with a very diluted death metal genre. For several months I have waited for the release of Paradogma with eager anticipation, and I have to say it was worth the wait. The thing that stands out to me the most is the precision of each instrument. This is partly due, I'm sure, to a great job of the mixing process. The production on this album is great. The drums come out of the speakers with thunderous force, the guitars have excellent tone, and yes, if you take the time to notice, you can hear the bass distinctly.

It seems like most bands just follow the genre leaders when it comes to song writing, sound, and overall delivery, well Hour of Penance have decided to be the leaders of the pack to kick off the new decade of death metal. All other bands should take notice to the attention placed on the songwriting here, not just the "brutality" of it. Each song on Paradogma is carefully written to stand apart from the song before it and has it's own identity. And after each song you feel like you've been given something great. The album closes with a great prologue that brings the whole thing together, leaving you satisfied with what you've just heard.

Sometimes musicians play outside thier own abilities in the race to be more "technical" than everybody else. Hour of Penance do not have this problem. Each member shreds his own instrument with precision and the mixing synchronized them perfectly for the cd. I could go on and on about this album but if you're a fan of great, powerful, brutal death metal (who isn't?), just get this album for yourself and I'm sure you'll be as satisfied as I am.

Hour of Penance set the new standard!!!!!