© 2002-2022

Hemoptysis > Misanthropic Slaughter > Reviews > Roswell47
Hemoptysis - Misanthropic Slaughter

Very impressive! - 80%

Roswell47, June 9th, 2011

Today the world is filled with tons of horrible self-released albums. In recent years, the world has also become filled with an unnecessary amount of "thrash revival" bands. So, it would stand to reason that the last thing we need is a fifty minute self-released CD from another "new" group of thrashers. But when it comes to Arizona's Hemoptysis, that assumption couldn't be more wrong.

On it's debut full-length, Misanthropic Slaughter, Hemoptysis (which means to cough up blood by the way) blends classic thrash riffing with a contemporary touch for an invigorating take on the thrash genre. The band isn't reinventing the wheel on Misanthropic Slaughter, but they are helping usher it into the modern age. Hemoptysis' riffs are generally of the classic thrash variety, yet each flow into the next without feeling predictable. The vocals add a modern feel to the proceedings with a blackened death growl similar to Arsis or Arch Enemy, while the guitar leads recall the classic solos of the eighties. The solos are equally powerful, memorable, melodic, and face-melting. The drums strike a balance between the old and new with a contemporary production job that still manages to keep them from sounding too stiff or fake. The style of drumming itself is quite varied. The drums are just as likely to pummel you with contemporary double bass as they are to pound away in a more customary thrash style.

Misanthropic Slaughter starts strong with it's first three tracks. The title track kicks the album off with catchy, varied riffs and a hummable solo section. "Hopeless" follows with some nice tempo changes and excellent guitar work that keep me coming back for more. "M.O.D." is the third consecutive kick in the balls with great riffing and solos that are some of most smokin' on the album. Misanthropic Slaughter loses a little steam in the middle with some good, but not great tracks that just don't match the standard set by the first three songs. Not to worry, things pick up again beginning with "The Cycle" and stay pretty solid through the end of the album. In fact, the last three songs match the album's opening tracks in quality...especially the epic "Shadow of Death" with its amazing solos, stuttering drums, and In Flames-before-they-started-to-suck harmony riffs.

I can count the number of new thrash bands that I am truly impressed with on one hand. After hearing Hemoptysis' Misanthropic Slaughter, I'm one finger closer to having to start counting on the other hand. This album is easily one of the best self-released CDs I have ever heard. Why aren't these guys signed already? The band is obviously ambitious. It has a decent website and a street team. Its album was produced by Ryan Greene (Megadeth, NOFX, Lagwagon, and pretty much everything else on Fat Wreck Chords.) The band even has a professional quality music video for "Shadow of Death." Hemoptysis seems like it is ready to conquer the thrash genre and beyond. As long as the band continues making music like Misanthropic Slaughter, I will be cheering them on.

Originally written for http://www.metalpsalter.com