Stop the shrieking - 65%

Felix 1666, November 10th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2011, CD, Icarus Music

Let's get back in time. 1984: Ronald Reagan was the 40th President of the United States of America, nobody had ever heard of a place called Chernobyl so far and people who had been children at the end of World War II were as old as I am today. Shit, a long time is gone since 1984 and I guess I have to keep this in mind when it comes to the review of "Burning Star". Helstar's debut has a lot of this charm of imperfection that characterizes the first moves into a new era. Speed and thrash metal were at the cusp of revolutionizing the entire metallic world and even though the guys from Texas did not play this style, there existed a kind of spiritual connection between their underground-compatible sound and that of Metallica or Anthrax. I doubt that Helstar would have become as big as the aforementioned formations with a rawer production of their debut, although James Rivera is of this opinion. However, I agree that the relatively harmless production did not help the album to get more famous, but this alone was not the reason for the significantly lower success of the guys from Texas.

Another reason was, at least from my point of view, the overdose of high-pitched screams of Rivera. Of course, he just followed the spirit of the time. But the zeitgeist is a whore and therefore his approach is pretty annoying ("Witch's Eye") sometimes. His screams torture my eardrums, because it happens quite often that they appear at the wrong moment. That's a pity, because his "normal" vocals don't lack individuality and I have no doubt that he was actually a good choice to fill the position of the front man in this combo. Helstar needed exactly a singer like Rivera who was able to add the final touch to their compositions which combined traditional metal with power metal elements. They were far away from the juvenile ruthlessness of those dudes with names like Hetfield, Holt or Mustaine. Unlike the debuts of Metallica or Exodus, "Burning Star" did not sound spectacular. But Helstar made an authentic offering with sometimes almost complex song structures and they had some fine guitar lines up their sleeves. Especially the title track proves evidence in this regard.

Even when considering the date of publication, the material sounds a little bit old-fashioned occasionally. "Towards the Unknown" has some pretty heavy sequences, but other parts, for example the beginning, could originate from a rock album of the seventies as well. A rather defensive riff kicks off the track and a guitar solo follows immediately with a pretty narcissistic touch. Honestly speaking, I prefer the heavy and profound guitars that open "Possession" or "Run with the Pack", a song that stands with both feet on the territory of pure power metal. Rivera offers his best performance here and leaves his mark in a convincing manner.

I cannot reconstruct or really imagine the effect that this full-length probably had in 1984. From today's perspective, it lacks dynamic and, to a lower extent, verve. Due to whatever reason, the record sounds as if the musicians did not press their whole enthusiasm for the music into the vinyl. Instead, they delivered a comparatively mature debut. Only a few parts fell victim to their inexperience. The chorus of "Leather and Lust", for instance, goes nowhere and has absolutely nothing to offer. But I wanted to keep in mind that this album was released a long time ago and the members of Helstar were debutants and pioneers at the same time. Given this situation, "Burning Star" was a good album without any kind of cheap gimmicks - and still it has its right of existence. By the way, the here reviewed edition holds the demo recording of the album as well.

Probably THEE first power metal album - 97%

Mr Matt, April 15th, 2018

Helstar, Helloween, Manowar, or Yngwie Malmsteen? Which one was the first power metal artist? Helloween formed as Gentry in 1978, Helstar formed in 1983, but Helloween released their first album, "Walls Of Jericho" in 1985. Manowar released their first album, "Battle Hymns" in 1982 but it wasn't exactly power metal. Helstar released "Burning Star" in 1984, one day before Yngwie Malmsteen released "Rising Force". Well, from this, I think it's fair to say Helstar was the first power metal artist and "Burning Star" was the first power metal album.

I found "Burning Star" surprisingly heavy for the time period it came from. The first song, "Burning Star" has a very creative riff that I cannot go unnoticed. It's a broken A minor chord on the A string, then C on the A string 3rd fret, then the note E on the D string 2nd fret, then another one but the E is raised to F, then another broken A minor chord, then A, C, A, then, in 1 beat each, chords with the notes in the octave higher than the notes in the broken chords, B-flat and E-flat, then A and D. Based on the tempo and rhythm I caught on to while listening, the notes to the broken chords are probably just eighth notes. Man, that has to be one of my favorite riffs ever. Love it enough to explain it like that. Ey, to the people on Metal Archives who accept or reject the reviews: Not trying to show off or be wordy, just explaining it as it is. It took me almost an hour to explain the music and how that riff would be notated.

The guitar solos (and riffs of course) are impeccable in "Burning Star" the album and puts power metal in a great spotlight. Every song had a great and interesting solo. "Possession" is probably my favorite with "Burning Star" at a close second place. A nice mix of neo-classical and standard heavy metal guitar techniques make up Helstar's solos. If you are a fan of scales being played fast, this is a band for you.

My only complaint is in the song "Burning Star" in a few spots in the vocals. First things first about the vocals is that they are fabulous. The guy who sings on "Burning Star", the album, is great and very powerful. But I noticed this just in the song "Burning Star", sometimes the vocalist just does a bit much. Somewhere in what is probably the bridge of the song, there are these sudden fluctuations of alto range sounding notes to sudden high notes. While impressive and has its place, it's just a bit much in the song "Burning Star". Now, the high notes like the ones I say is a bit much in the song "Burning Star" appear everywhere in the album, but they are put in the right spots and are part of what makes this album great.

In closing, Helstar is a pioneering band in power metal and "Burning Star" is probably THEE first power metal album. Every song is noteworthy and creative. I really wish Helstar was way more popular amongst metal listeners. As of writing this review, Helstar has 3,669 monthly listeners on Spotify. They certainly deserve the same status as Helloween, Manowar, and Yngwie Malmsteen, but despite that, Helstar has certainly pioneered power metal just as much as they have.

One of the finest debuts in metal history - 100%

FearAbsentia, June 4th, 2017
Written based on this version: 1999, CD, Century Media Records (Remastered)

Helstar is one of the few artists I can think of who's every single album is a masterpiece, and of course Burning Star was the album that started it all. This was the first album I had heard from the band, as well as perhaps the first metal album I owned myself. I grew up listening to classic hard rock, heavy metal, and thrash, but after Aerosmith and Rush really got me into music I had found Helstar at random. It was the greatest random find possible.

The music here is a mix of US power metal, classic heavy metal, speed metal, and a bit of proto-thrash metal. Already on their debut, Helstar had their own pretty unique sound with a wide range of metal styles. While you can hear influence from bands such as Iron Maiden, Mercyful Fate, Judas Priest, and Rush (The Rush influence is especially heard in the beginning of "Run With the Pack"), the band manages to muster up their own distinct sound. The guitar riffs are razor-sharp, the drums are powerful, and James Rivera's vocals are absolutely killer. Just listen to his vocal performance on "Toward the Unknown", and that song is one of many reasons why he's among my favorite vocalists.

The title track is one of the best album openers. The catchy as hell descending riff really makes it sound like you're in the sky and going down in fire. Now you want to hear one of the best guitar solos ever made? Just check out the end of the solo, it sounds like a downward spiral into the abyss. "Witch's Eye" is another highlight, and the punchy main riff just kicks the listener in the gut. Rivera's vocals switch perfectly between a sneering bite to high pitched screams on both of these tracks. The aforementioned "Toward the Unknown" and "Run with the Pack" both have more of a majestic Iron Maiden-esque vibe to them, though the former is not without a raw and punchy main riff.

Already on the debut with the song "Dracula's Castle", there is lyricism based around vampires, which would return as the concept album "Nosferatu". The rest of the lyrics follow your usual 80's metal lyricism of darkness, fantasy, etc. The title track, with it's menacing shredding, is reflected incredibly well with the sci-fi cover art. It really makes you feel like your flying through the stars, involved in a chaotic space battle.

This album holds a special place in my heart as not only an amazing album but also as the first metal album I ever owned myself and listened to a lot. I hadn't of listened to it in a while, but coming back to it I'm glad I still hear the magic. A classic, as well as one of my favorite albums of all time. Do yourself a favor and check this album and this band out.

Attribution: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/review/burning-star/324174

Raw And Rough - 55%

SweetLeaf95, February 18th, 2017

Credit should be given wherever it is due without a doubt, but that doesn't always prevent something from being pretty damn boring for a decent part of the ride. While Burning Star certainly has a couple memorable moments and overall solid structure, I find it to be a bit of a let down.

With a positive start, the opening/title track of this is definitely worth its weight in gold, being the strongest part of the record. With a promising opening riff, a sense of doom, and a crunchy delivery, it brings on a pretty remarkable, yet raw track that could not be any more the likes of Angel Witch, or a watered down Satan. This would get anyone's hopes up, but after this track, it fails to vary in really any way, and sticks to what almost seems like a template. Granted, there is some killer solo work, especially at the beginning of "Toward The Unknown". "Leather And Lust" definitely had some high points as well, with a more interesting drum beat and rhythm section. These parts served as great ice-breakers and keep it from being too stagnant. But other than that, a lot of the songs are as dull as a butter knife, and struggle to hold my attention.

This would sit better with me if it were a demo, as it shares almost every quality of one. That's not entirely a bad thing, as I do enjoy raw production when in the mood, but the vocals certainly need to be cleaned up big time. It's pretty standard for the time, and though lacking much energy, you can see early signs of power metal. I don't think he has a bad voice, and his singing holds true to the music and keeps up with the guitars, but the outbursting shrieks that storm just about every track could have been completely cut out. While some can pull that off very well, I found them to be annoying on this record, and it almost sounded as if he was trying to do something he couldn't quite achieve. If the vocal work was as great as some of the riff work, then I'd probably like this a lot better. All of the guitar parts of "The Shadow of Iga" are pretty fantastic, and certainly represent another part of the album that stands out. But the screech let out right before the main solo in that song is cringe-worthy.

When push comes to shove, this is not a horrible release, and I gotta give them credit for being good musicians and putting out the effort. I think it is easily deserving of one spin, but that's about it. I call it great potential, but not very entertaining.

A Star Is Born - 70%

VirginSteele_Helstar, April 7th, 2013

Helstar's first album "Burning Star" is hardly the stroke of genius "A Distant Thunder" is and neither is it the intricate masterpiece that "Nosferatu" is. Instead, it is a portrait of a young and hungry band that would be capable of delivering much more after they found their feet.

The biggest complaint anyone can have with this record is how untogether it sounds. Musically, the band leap from brazen simplicity to overzealous complexity and it is only the moments in between where they truly shine. "Toward The Unknown" is a case in point-it opens with some Judas Priest type riffing and carefully juxtaposes that against harmonically rich but incredibly technical leads. The resulting song is one of the finest Helstar have ever recorded. On the title track, James Rivera (appearing here as Bill Lionel) sings, "I see a new star rising" and indeed most of the material on the Texan quintet's debut feels and sounds like a grand preamble; a potent but rather precocious presage of the admirable metallic devastation that was launched thereafter, "Remnants Of War" onwards. Consequentially, you have the band more concerned with showcasing their prowess than writing immediate and catchy songs.

Some like the mega thrasher "Possession" work wonderfully but others like the proto tech metal piece "Witch's Eye" might leave one impressed yet unmoved. Where the balance is struck as on "Toward The Unknown" and "The Shadows Of Iga" is where the band is revealed as perhaps one of the more important groups to ever emerge from the American power metal scene. Ultimately, though, it is one of those debuts whose force can only be assessed in retrospect. I'd recommend it to anyone getting into Helstar only after they've heard "A Distant Thunder" where there's better method to the mayhem.

"Burning Star' does however remain one of the most astonishing first albums by a metal group because it oozes of ambition and a certain maturity and passion for excellence. And in the same manner as other monumental debuts such as "Ample Destruction", "Alice In Hell", "The Warning" and "Iced Earth", it isn't without a truly classic moment. "Burning Star"'s can be found in the form of "Run With The Pack" a nervy nearly seven minute long speedy anthem that draws you in with its magnetic thrash inspired riffs and catchy hook and one that remains to this day, one of Helstar's more quintessential moments.

Was the band overreaching? Sure they were! Larry Barragan formed the band at the time when metalheads in America were just opening up to the NWOBHM. They were feeding off on that incredibly ambitious yet high energy music as well covering Rush tunes. When "Burning Star"" was recorded, it was to serve as a testament to their skill, a place to place their translation of a scripture already written in far off lands. It mostly went unnoticed because it was so layered yet inelegant but all that daring did pay off eventually. Summarily speaking, this was only the beginning...

A real 'desert island' disc - 99%

malibuman, August 15th, 2008

Even before I checked out their relative scores I knew that Helstar’s second album ‘Remnants of War’ would be outscoring the debut. I’m not saying that’s necessarily wrong, but it does make me feel that ‘Burning Star’ is maybe being sold a little short. True, it’s only because of one so-so review undermining two great ones, but all the same, I think I need to redress the balance just a little.

Funnily enough, I bought this on vinyl back in 1984 and while I liked it a lot, it wasn’t my favourite album of the time. I was a hardened thrasher back then and this album didn’t quite do it for me. So I traded it with someone else and then changed my mind and then traded it again, and so it went back and forth until eventually I gave up and let him keep it. And that was it for about 13 years, until in 1999 Century Media took the very wise decision to re-release it. Of course, by now I was a complete 80’s metal whore and I snapped it up immediately, only to fall head over heels in love with it all over again.

It was like meeting up with a hot college girlfriend all over again, and realising she was still hot and better in the sack than you remembered.

Party - bonus!

However, listeners coming to this album having already heard ‘Remnants…’ and the other Helstar albums might be slightly surprised by the style on display here, but you have to remember this was 1984 and the whole thrash/speed thing was yet to fully break. Back then your straight-ahead metal was still a viable option. Not that Helstar ever really gave in to the whole thrash thing, but the second album definitely had a more aggressive sound and seemed to court fans of the genre, albeit without compromising too much on the melody. This one however, has a definite early 80’s flavour, particularly in the guitars which have that lovely under-distorted sound which died out by the middle of the decade. Not only that but there’s a few hints of prog rock in the intro to the mini-epic ‘Run with the Pack’, while ‘Burning Star‘ has a great intro of the type you just don‘t hear anymore.

I notice that Metal Archives have posted the original European album cover on the site and that’s a good thing. Why an album this brilliant should have had to suffer the terrible original U.S. album cover is a mystery to me and it surely can’t have helped snare potential fans who would have seen it in the racks next to things like the debut from Armored Saint and wrongly surmised that they were not of (at least) equal quality. Really there isn’t a duff track on this record, and it bristles with quality in every department, and that’s why I have no reservations in awarding at the score that I have.

Incredible debut, a timeless classic - 90%

Xeogred, February 8th, 2007

Helstar, words cannot describe how amazing this band would become with this powerful debut, and the next three albums to follow. Somehow, like others have said, they seem to get slightly overlooked and people tend to gravitate more towards Iron Maiden, Queensryche, Fates Warning, and other bands of that time. Which is a shame because Helstar could very well be beyond many of those bands in every way. Fans of more rare metal from the early 80's, such as Jag Panzer's "Ample Destruction" or Omen's "Battle Cry", take heed with Helstar and this debut "Burning Star".

One thing that sets Helstar apart from many other bands during the 80's, is that they were always more technically agressive. There's no argueing that Helstar's come up with some of the most original, and coolest riffs ever. And when you get to the complex shredding solo's, it just tears your face up. They are blazing fast, technical, aggressive, melodic, and oustanding. Along with top notch production quality for its time, there's no faults to be found here at all.

Then we have the legendary James Rivera on here, with probably some of his best singing ever. His range stretches above mountains. Usually he sticks to a more aggressive mid-range, but his wails and shrieking are like swords piercing your heart. He could probably be considered the ultimate vocalist in the realm of general Speed Metal albums like this one. His voice is beyond perfection for this kind of material.

This album has some of Helstar's greatest songs. The opening "Burning Star" along with the ever so popular "Run with the Pack" are just a few to mention. From the beginning, to the end this is a solid album. There's really no fillers to be found here. Some songs are overall better than others, but every song is unique and keeps a strong sense of Speed Metal consistency.

The single downfall with this album, is that its short. It only clocks in a little over half an hour. However I can't drag the rating down at all for this, because this seemed pretty common for a lot of bands back during these times. Then, Helstar makes up for it by putting out three more A+ albums after this one!

Overall, this is truly a legendary classic, with very few flaws. The beginning of quite easily one of the greatest Metal bands around. James Rivera will completely blow your mind on here with his paralyzing vocals, and the technical skill the band displays will surely put you in awe. This should be an essential listening for any kind of Metal fan.

Decent, occasionally amazing, power metal - 77%

UltraBoris, August 18th, 2002

This is Helstar's debut album - there are quite a few very good songs on here, as well as several completely dispensable ones. It's best categorised as power metal, with the occasional speed metal bits here and there.

The first song, "Burning Star" is pretty fast (though not quite as fast as when you accidentally put the vinyl on 45!), and has some VERY nice riffs, and also the first of several completely killer solos by Larry Barragan. This guy is totally underrated, and rules most everyone in the guitar department - he pulls off a nice Judas Priest-styled solo in the middle of this, including a cool melodic break.

Next, "Toward the Unknown". Awesome!! This is straight up power metal. Probably the best vocal performance here from James Rivera, who sounds a lot like Rob Halford. But what really truly sets this song apart is the main solo, which is THE best guitar solo that has ever been recorded. Ever. It's pretty much perfect - not too long, no masturbation, and memorable note for note after three or four listens. You just gotta hear it for yourself.

"Witch's Eye" is kind of a letdown compared to the first two songs - it's not bad, but very average sounding and midpaced. Next is "Run With the Pack" which is also quite good - midpaced for the most part, except for at the end where it speeds up and becomes almost thrash for a few moments.

"Leather and Lust" is really fucking silly, and sounds completely out of place on this album. "Possession" is also decent, though not quite as good as the real highlights. Same with "Shadows of Iga" - these two are solid in pretty much every way, but the distinguishing characteristics aren't as strong.

We close with "Dracula's Castle", which is the third-best song on here. Another great bit of soloing from Larry Barragan, and also a really nice intro here.

Overall, some of this album demonstrates complete ownage - so much so, that the lacking parts may be forgiven. This is highly, highly recommended, just for one solo.