© 2002-2020

A solid record, but a little bit corny - 74%

PorcupineOfDoom, October 31st, 2014
Written based on this version: 2010, CD, Victor (Japan)

Seeing as it's that time of year again, I thought that it would be appropriate to review this band. Lame, I know, but someone has to pull all of the shit jokes. Speaking of which, the title seems to be one. "Are you metal?" No, I'm listening to this because I like some rap, maybe a bit of R & B. What, do you think that this is supposed to advertise the genre or something? Like, you think it's going to be played on the radio? Hate to tell you guys, but it's probably not.

No, but really, the first track (the title track for this single) is a lot better than the name suggests. The lyrics might be a bit corny, but the rest of it is very good. The guitars are solid throughout, as are the drums. The drums keep on pounding away with a rhythmic beat that keep the time well, and for the most part the guitars play decently heavy riffs. The vocals aren't quite the style that the music needs, but they're not bad as such. The best part is the solo in an otherwise pretty repetitive song, but the song is still okay even if it gets a bit samey. At least it isn't dragged out for much more than a minute and a half.

The song that follows is far better though. Raise the Noise is appropriately titled, heavier than the title track and a lot more meaningful in the guitar department. The hooks are nothing overly complicated, but they still sound nice and I'm glad that they're not just churning the same stuff out for the whole record. The one part that I don't get though is the random flute solo that comes after the guitars have had their fun. It sounds like a flute anyway, but whatever it is it's completely out of place. I can't fathom any reasonable excuse for them to stick it in the middle of this type of track.

The third and final track on this single is I'm Free, which I'd rather they'd just not included. Something about it doesn't sit right, maybe the fact that the keyboard and guitars don't agree with each other in terms of what key to play in. One's high, the other's low. Plus those lyrics... Really, this takes corny to a new level. "I'm free! As free as one can be!" Actually, the vocals kind of go against the guitars as well. And I hate to use this phrase, but there are Dragonforce-y moments in there too. I have nothing against them, but if I were Helloween I'd try not to become that band.

All in all it's a decent record, and indeed the band do show some flashes of brilliance that no doubt thrust them into the spotlight in the first place. However, there are a few moments that you have to wonder why they're there and that does kind of lower the standards of the overall record. It's a shame because it has potential, but those moments do cause the other parts to take a knock as well.