© 2002-2020

Cliché attack part 2 - 66%

gasmask_colostomy, December 10th, 2017

If there is ever a competition for the most clichéd band in heavy metal, Japan’s Hellhound should definitely be in with a shout of claiming one of the medals. Apart from having pseudonyms like Lucifer’s Heritage and Blackwind, the song titles to Let Metal Rule the World contain the highest density of the word “metal” since Rocka Rollas’ debut. Of nine songs here, six contain the word in the title and that’s not taking into account that one song is called ‘Legend of Warriors’, which is accompanied by its intro ‘Warrior Overture’.

Anyhow, I think the purpose of this release was to have fun with the image of metal, because the influences are more or less as you would expect as well. Despite Hellhound being described as heavy/thrash metal, I would say they owe more of a debt to the combined forces of Judas Priest and Exciter than anyone else, a few NWOBHM melodies accompanying the alternately stomping and sprinting rhythms. The vocals of Crossfire are also a cross between Rob Halford and Dan Beehler, screeching unapologetically high and wild, sometimes at the limits of tunefulness and certainly beyond the limits of moderation. For all the eccentricism of the singing, the rhythm instruments stay pretty muted, except for some bass activity at the beginning of ‘State of Shock’ and a super-sincere solo in ‘Legend of Warriors’ that might raise a smile, while the guitars are fairly par for the course, not throwing in anything too surprising or technical.

All this means that if you have a certain appetite for cheese and appreciation of classic metal bands who sing about…er…being classic metal bands, you’ll get on fairly well with Let Metal Rule the World. The songs don’t have too many lurking shocks (except the two songs with “shock” in the title), though ‘Metal Inferno’ and ‘Metal Shock’ are the darkest and thrashiest, while ‘Mr Heavy Metal’ and ‘Legend of Warriors’ (which sound like Helloween and Rhapsody songs respectively, though don’t drastically change style) are marginally the best. Here, the lead moments come to the fore and the vocals relax slightly, making the ropey pronunciation less of an issue.

I’m not really sure that I’ve told you anything you couldn’t have guessed from the outside of the jewel case to Let Metal Rule the World, but these are metalheads who wear their hearts on their sleeves and are very happy doing it, so I wouldn’t knock that, even if it’s not really my cup of tea. I suppose the best compliment I can pay this is that it’s better than The War of Steel Has Begun (the aforementioned Rocka Rollas debut) and that’s at least enough to let me sleep at night.