© 2002-2021

Hails to my drinking Viking Brothers!! - 96%

LordWladimir, December 5th, 2008

Wodan Heerst EP is a great album. Heidevolk have really shown they can make good albums before, but there is something to the "Wodan Heerst" song and others on this EP that really gives you a true viking feeling.

One song I truly enjoyed was the "Vulgaris Magistralis" Normaal cover. When I listened to the Normaal version, it was good, but Heidevolk is Heidevolk, and they truly made a great cover. Vocals are better then on the cover, the guitars are 10x more heavy and vocals (I have to put that up twice, the vocals really made the whole song better). The drums are fast (not really fast, but fast anyway), and thats a big plus, drums are the most important thing in order to create a great song and those fast bas drums in the middle of the song are really good.

"Wodan Heerst", the violin on this track is truly awsome, vocals (of course) are at their best and the song is not a cover, which is good. Drums are written to cover the parts guitar couldn't give you the "feeling" you have when you listen to this song, they mix into a beautiful combination with a little viking add to it.

"Het bier zal weer vloeien" is a beautiful folky drinking song. This song is a little bit softer, but it still gots it. The violin plays beatiful and vocals sing great, drums with a little bit more "heavy" (well, more soft kind of heavy) melody and guitars supporting this elements, mixes great!!

I've gone thru all three songs and I still can't dicide which one is the best, because all are just pure, viking and beautiful.

Hails to Heidevolk, viking brothers!

Wodan rules - 90%

Arsenicum, June 16th, 2007

Always difficult to base your opinion on just 3 songs, but taking heidevolks full length Krijgsvolk into account, the 2 new songs ( of which one cover, but we will get to that) on this single show that they evolved. The titletrack is just magnificiently epic, with catchy and folky guitar riffs, the chorus stands out because of the quality heroic vocals by Mark Splintervuyscht, who can, in my honest opinion, be regarded as one of the best folk-metal singers. The addition of the second singer Sebas Bloeddorst, ads more power and depth to the chorus.

Although I generally don't like to review song by song, you can't really escape it, since there are only three on this single. The third and last song is also never released by Heidevolk, and is a cover of the Dutch "farmer"-rock band Normaal, who have been around since the mid-70's. Vulgaris Magistralis is about a ancient cave-man, who still roams the plains of the dutch area called De Achterhoek on his dinosaur. Humoristic, as it tells of Steven Spielberg, who wants Vulgaris Magistralis for a role in one of his movies. The song is massive and in your face, with Maidenesque rolling guitar melodies, but more agressive. With a very catchy refrain, this song makes you bang your head from beginning to end.

The second song "Het bier zal weer vloeien" ( the beer shall flow again) is a different version of the original one, which can be found on their debut album. The addition of violins turns the mood of this song from epic to somewhat sad, and does not really improve the original version. And is the least interesting track on this single. Fun to hear, but not really memorable.

So this single gives you killer songs, which would have stand out above the rest were they put on their debut, and one filler. Nonetheless worth it!