They Credit Jon on Vocals, I Credit Dani - 70%

Old_Scratch, August 2nd, 2006

This is an album I bought during high school simply because a black metal release, I also read and heard some of the hype. Vocal style rip-job aside, this album has one redeeming factor: it is genuinely dark, something that can't be said about most bm releases.

Opening with a very appropriate atmospheric keyboard track, the album's mood is set from the start. "The Crimson Thorns" comes in strong with strong vocals in the form of growls, and of course, you get a taste of Jon's best Dani Filth impersonation. I'll stop right there and defend the little limey fucker with this: Dani wasn't the first to utilize that style of vocals. Kam Lee (Massacre, Mantas, Death) was the first to use that high-pitched shriek, though Dani is known for perfecting them. No one is original these days, it's been that way for a very long time.

"To Feed Upon Thy Dreams" is a track which holds classic atmospheric moments, and even has non-whiney, dark clean vocals. The last full song, "An Ode for a Haunted Wood" also bears the mark of ultra-gothique classic moods, starting off with drums and fading into the last track. The last track is no filler instrumental either, it's a keyboard piece the likes of which most bands would envy to be able to accomplish.