© 2002-2020

A hero's return!! - 88%

ShadeOfDarkness, November 8th, 2010

Heathen is another one of those underground thrashers back in the 80's and the early 90's. They released two masterpieces: Breaking The Silence and Victims Of Deception. I would place these two albums on exactly the same level as Forbidden's first two. I look at these two bands as rivals, and therefore, you may notice that I may compare The Evolution Of Chaos to Forbidden's Omega Wave. But we need a little comparing sometimes right?

This album starts with an atmospheric intro, which plays the main riff in the first real song, Dying Season some times. It's a very fine transition between the intro and Dying Season. When you hear this, you are going to feel that the lust for headbanging is gonna build up, until you can't resist it anymore! Dying Season is one of the more brutal thrashers on the record. However, it also packs a good deal of melodic riffs and leads. Dave White seems to have practiced more on his screaming, as his vocals are more brutal than they used to be back in the day. But this is no negative thing, for he has sustained his melodic voice pretty well.

After Dying Season's rampage is over, we go right into another more melodic track. The intro riff can make you think that this is going to be a power metal song, but that changes pretty fast, as Dave's harsh voice fills your ears. This track is extremely long, and it's pretty easy to see why. There's about 2 minutes of pure soloing a little later on where Gary Holt from Exodus has a guest appearance. He does an absolutely awesome job at making this song even better, and well worth the lenght!

Something special about Heathen is that many of their songs are very long. If you've already read some reviews for this album, you may have noticed that the other reviewers have said the exact same thing. Well, it's true. Heathen's songs are longer than Forbidden's songs. Although their new album also lasts for over an hour.

Dave White can sing. There's no doubt about that. But he's still not as good as Forbidden's Russ Anderson. They can sing pretty harshly, but Dave's voice isn't quite as strong as Russ'. So if you want thrash with extremely good vocals, you'll have to get Omega Wave and Flotsam & Jetsam's The Cold. The strange thing about those two albums is that Russ Anderson and Eric A.K. from Flotsam has VERY similar voices. If you haven't listened to them before, you can't tell them apart. However, if you want more solos, and generally better guitar playing, then Heathen is the band for you. I know that what I just said may convince you all to get this album, but Forbidden's Omega Wave is just as good!

What Heathen also lacks is variation. Many of the songs are a bit too similar, especially due to the fact that every song is played in E, except for A Hero's Welcome, which is played in A. Forbidden experimented a little more with different notes, as you can read in my review for that album. The reason this album is just as good is because of the awesome guitar playing.

Some songs on this album (No Stone Unturned) are a little too long, and can become boring. No Stone Unturned is eleven minutes long, and that's a little too far in my opinion. Some sections are repeated too many times, but again, the riffs are so awesome that it's worth it!

Well, I guess I've said my exact opinion of this album. If you want some quality new thrash, then get your fucking hands on this! It's like Dave White says... Leave no stone unturned!!