© 2002-2021

A Point Havok Shouldn't Return To - 60%

Film, July 21st, 2021
Written based on this version: 2012, CD, Candlelight Records

Many reviews on this site start with a record being found in a discount bin, and taken home for a spin. I am usually not that lucky with bargains, but this time it was actually the case. I became the owner of Havok's EP for 1 buck, selecting it not because I'd heard of it, but I knew some of Havok's other productions. While there are several bands called Havok, the logo was readily recognizable on the decent cover art of Point of no Return.

This EP has only two original songs and two covers. Havok released more ambitious stuff later and had done so before, but let it be said that they were fully competent playing their instruments. There is nothing to retract there, least of all the drummer very fast double kicks. Musically this EP is nonetheless pretty run-of-the-mill.

The starting track is also a title track, "Point of no Return". It is based around a recurring riff which is fairly generic. The vocals then start with a verse written in AAB/CCB format, with totally predictable rhymes: black and back, return and learn, eyes and blind. By totally predictable, I mean that after hearing "return", I actually knew that the following line would end with "learn". (Though it could have been "burn" too.)

"From the Cradle to the Grave" is less predictable, but still middle-of-the-road neo-thrash. "I was born with the devil in me", the vocalist exclaims. Fair enough, but he does not exactly sound possessed. Then come the covers of Sepultura and Slayer songs.

A cover of "Postmortem" could work, seeing as it's one of the more forgotten Slayer songs. The execution is similar to Slayer's version, except for more screechy vocals, and like the original, the song bridges into "Raining Blood". Who was this meant for? Who needs a cover of one of metal's best-known songs? Why didn't Havok cover "Smoke on the Water" while they were at it?

I will not toss this EP back in the bin, but keep it more as a collector's item than as a cherished disc I'll play day and night. It's listenable, but not interesting in a single aspect.