© 2002-2021

Haemoth – In Nomine Odium (2011) - 80%

Asag_Asakku, May 31st, 2012

"No, I'm not resentful. I just hate ..." When an album begins with these words, uttered by a gloomy voice, we know we're going to spend a dirty quarter of an hour. In fact, its forty-four minutes of pure brutality that offers us the French band Haemoth, releasing their first full-length in seven years, called In Nomine Odium (2011). After a split, an EP and two compilations, this album marks a revival in the band's career in the obscure realm of orthodox black metal.

If anger, hatred and suffering could be materialized, I think we would discover a huge load of them in this record. From beginning to end, with a guitar and a voice scratched and saturated, the group hits with a music of rare violence. What strikes the listener immediately is the sound quality that manages to combine power and distortion, without these two elements affecting each other. This creates a stifling and aggressive atmosphere, normal or desired for this kind of music.

Odium opens the butchery, in a crescendo leading to the first blasts of Slaying The Blind. Ouch! Powerful and aggressive, this title sets the stage for the future. If Demonik Omniscience is fast, the band takes a break (well, kind of) with the instrumental Spiritual Pestilence, played mid-tempo. They go back looking for blood with Disgrace, but the pinnacle is achieved by Son of the Black Light, best song of the album, reminiscent of the early efforts of groups now well established, such as Watain! ... And Then Came the Decease concludes the album, a slow, noisy and unhealthy death.

I often criticized groups who practice orthodox black metal because they put form over substance, thereby eliminating the special breath that makes this style extremely aggressive. Haemoth do not fall into this trap and gives us an excellent album, as well as permanent damage to the eardrums. 8/10

Originally written for metalobscur.com