© 2002-2021

AWESOME Old-School Death/Thrash! - 90%

thrashtildeath22, June 25th, 2009

Here it is, boys: it is albums like these that defined the old-school death metal genre. The creativity, originality, and variety found on records such as this is what seperates that early period from the monotonous, repetative stuff being churned out by generic death/grind bands today.

Gutted play a very unique style of classic death metal that blends death, thrash, doom, and even groove elements together to form the final product. They switch seamlessly from blistering brutality to Kreator-style riffage and again to some very crunchy, doomy sections. What this results in is an album that is varied, does NOT get boring, and is very easy to listen to from beginning to end. There is not an ounce of filler on here, and I can honestly say that I would have loved the album to go on for at least another track or two.

Add to the mix some groovy middle sections. In my opinion, this is what makes Bleed for Us to Live stand out from the pack. There are more of these neck-snapping mid-paced riffs than you might find on, say, an early Grave or Entombed record, but they are still far from entering into stupid slam-death territory. They pull off everything with attitude and finesse, and the whole thing really works.

They really manage to weave together some nicely written, fairly lengthy songs, too (for this type of music, that is), without getting full-headed or overlong. These guys really knew the workings of a good album, to say the least. There really isn't too much or too little of anything here, and it makes the whole thing very enjoyable.

I'm surprised no one has reviewed this yet. The only reason I'm not rating this higher is because there are lots of all-time death metal classics out there and I don't want to exagerrate. But even still, if you are a fan of early death metal in the least, get your hands on this. You won't be disappointed. It'll leave you asking yourself: where have the glory days gone, when bands were actually imaginative...?