Like drifting through space - 95%

Goatfangs, December 2nd, 2019
Written based on this version: 2015, Digital, Independent (Bandcamp)

Grimirg delivers a solid dose of patiently paced funeral doom for those that enjoy the slower and longer type of songs in the genre. The keyboards start off the album that impart a mysterious and cold feeling to the ears, perhaps as if one were drifting through interstellar space. When the riffs hit, they possess that fuzz reminiscent of early Skepticism and even the strangeness that made Thergothon so great all those years ago. The bass adds a lower end dynamic that crawls along and adds clean low-end melodies beneath the doomy murk.

The songwriting here is exceptional. Funeral doom, in theory, is easy to write – make a riff long, repeat the riff, whispergrowl a bunch of times, add drum machine (or, preferably a real drummer) and keyboards for atmosphere. Mix that all together and you get yourself a funeral doom song. Асмодеевы Крылья proves that all too well, actually – it's very easy to make funeral doom, but it is very hard to make funeral doom good. The trick to making a funeral doom song good, however, is by capturing a desired atmosphere. That atmosphere doesn't have to be "ooooh, I'm wandering in a graveyard... my whole family died... boohoo" either. Grief can be an effective atmosphere, as used by Deos and Mournful Congregation. Grimirg, here, at least on this album, isn't really going for a grieving atmosphere on the first song. They are seeking to emulate the mysterious and I dare say adventurous atmospheres of fellow Finns in Skepticism and Thergothon. These two songs are epic mutations of both of those progenitor bands combined!

Throvgh The Ageless Dvst captures my attention with the keyboards immediately, repeating a single tantalizing motif at a faster pace than when it is repeated later in the composition. It's the exciting start of a quest into the unknown. The riffs kick in and I feel enveloped in this realm of mystery. I could be floating out into space, approaching a dusty nebula (perhaps, the song is about such dust, as it may have been around for so long that age is not possible to measure, it truly would be ageless dust – or at least billions of years old dust) The cold keyboards convey the frigid environments of interstellar space, where temperatures can fall as low as three degrees Kelvin, but ironically the riffs sound 'warm' – perhaps the riffs are the spacecraft ferrying the listener through this nebula, keeping them warm enough to survive.

The Grave of Light takes the album in a slightly different direction – the riffs are what start the song at first, slow chords with a keyboard motif supplying the context. This music is still in space, but we still have the riffs to keep us warm. But this shorter (it being only nineteen minutes) composition has another surprise in store. It's a dirge. A funerary dirge. I don't know what, I cannot find any lyrics to this band, but the album art and the hints conveyed through the titles leads me to believe that this is a funeral dirge for a dying star. Of course, that is just my imagination, the song could be about the singer losing his grandmother. But six and a half minutes in, some beautifully executed harmonies burst through, as if marching pallbearers carry the casket to the Grave of Light. What is in that casket? A star? Light? Grandma? We may never know. We just have this beautiful album.