Nice classic metal - 64%

UltraBoris, November 27th, 2002

This was my introduction to Grim Reaper, sometime in the mid-1990s. I found the tape for 49 cents in the bargain bin, and for that price, I had to get it just because the song titles looked cool. I was quite pleasantly surprised.... this is is pretty much what you'd expect metal from 1985 to sound like - not overly silly, but definitely with an 80s vibe. (The J-card has a promo that, aside from expiring in 1985, sums up the general attitude of the band nicely by asking trivia questions about Maiden, Twisted Sister, and Motorhead.)

We start with the title track - a very nice catchy main riff and some cool leads as well. The rest of the album is in the same vein, with "Never Coming Back" and "Lord of Darkness" a bit more midpaced, and "Matter of Time" generally fast.

"Rock and Roll Tonight" is a bit cheesy, but still quite good, and then "Let the Thunder Roar" is the other great highlight of the album. "Lay it on the Line" and "Fight for the Last" are good as well - there really isn't too much variety in the songs, but if one's a winner, they pretty much all are. "Final Scream" has a really stupid intro piece, but the song itself is great.

Overall - it's a bit on the repetitive side, but still an enjoyable listen.