Heaviest Album in the Universe! - 98%

SuurSmurffi, March 17th, 2006

The french metal scene has always been subject to much ridicule. People have been known to say that the book "Great French Metal Bands" is just as thick as the "Norwegian Warheroes". But Gojira is here to blow you all away! With their progressive mix of Devin Townsend and Morbid Angel they create a very eerie and beautiful sonic soundscape full of monstrous destruction power and awesome moments.

Vocally this is one of my favorite albums. When Joe is screaming his guts out he still holds this massacre under control and manages to keep it sounding just purely awesome. It's not mindless shit, you can hear the technique. And no amount of "awesome punk attitude" can replace that. That's the real shit, kids. In just the perfect places Gojira slashes us with excellent clean vocals that cuts the air with long strung out notes. My skin is crawling.

Drumming has awesome time-signatures and fills. Riffs crunch your face off and everything is played together with great skill. And the silent parts get the finishing touches with whales singing. Man, nothing is cooler than whales. Especially in outerspace.

One of the best albums of 2005! All hail Gojira!