© 2002-2021

Stunning - 87%

Roufus, April 12th, 2007

Every once in a while a band comes along with something unique that doesn’t get the attention that it deserves. They disappear, leaving behind a treasure or two for those who are willing to find them. Godgory is one of those bands. They left behind four phenomenal albums in their all too short career.

The music is an incredibly mellow and soft death metal. It creates an atmosphere that grips you, and never lets you go. The death metal voice is sad and brooding at times, even when they decide to up the tempo a bit. Then the softer melancholy voice takes over some of the choruses. It works so well. The song Abandon has stuck with me for years, and the title track to the album is more haunting than anything any other death metal band has yet to accomplish.

But one has to be in the mood for it. If you are expecting something harsh and fast, this isn’t for you. I know all too well what it’s like being in the mood for something and giving a new band a more critical than deserved opinion because of it. One should be ready for emotionally charged slower death metal. This isn’t Opeth; it’s something altogether more transcendent than that. It doesn’t bombard you with progression for progressions sake. It crafts a mood with excellence that is missing from too many supposedly moody bands. Opeth are great at what they do, and I’d suggest this for the fans of their early work, but I wouldn’t put them in the same category.

Overall I’d say this is a niche release more than anything. There aren’t going to be enough takers to really drive this aspect of death metal, which is a shame. But if you’re in the mood for something intelligent and mellow with harsher as well as melancholic vocals, get this. Get this as fast as you can!