© 2002-2023

Testosterone 101 - 90%

Starkweather222000, June 13th, 2009

Wow, I must admit this is a hell of an EP. I'm not one of those metal fans that despise shorter length releases, in fact, I love some of this material by some bands. But this is probably one of the best EP's I've ever heard, it's so solid that gives you the sense of fulfillment that only a good album can.

Goatsnake was one of the truest doom metal bands out there. The passion that existed in their music was inexplicably intense, Pete Stahl surely is a great vocalist and Anderson's riffs go all the way, from heaven to hell and backwards. Plus, a rhythm section including Scott Reeder as a bassist could not be less than ideal, so we have the perfect lineup here.

"Portraits Of Pain" and "Juniors Jam" are on the slower, doomier side, while "Black Cat Bone" is more like an enraged V8 power truck heading straight onto you. That's actually good for the album, because it produces a feeling of diversity, instead of having three long and slow tracks. As bonus tracks, we have two covers. "Burial At Sea" originally by Saint Vitus and "Hot Rod" originally by Black Oak Arkansas. Once again, the order of the tracks is very important. "Burial At Sea" is one of the best covers I've ever heard, in fact I think I prefer it to the original. It's a long, low-paced, crushing song with a marvelous riff all over it-and after it's over, "Hot Rod" can't really rock you off your arse. I haven't listened to the original so I don't know if it was a mediocre song all along or just a bad cover, but since it lasts barely three minutes, it's not much of a problem. You may just skip it.

The three Goatsnake tracks kick ass, that's for sure. This EP would be a 85-90/100 just containing these three songs so it's no love lost. An excellent doom metal release for people that have been exposed to the truth: Underground will always Rule.