© 2002-2022

Slow, Boring, Insipid Crap - 27%

OTB2007, February 10th, 2007

In today's rather sterile music industry, it's nice to find a band with the sheer balls to give themselves such a fantastic moniker as Goat's Ass Trumpet. There's something about that name which defies all attempts at pigeonholing and - God help us - marketing. Is it secretly ironic, deeply symbolic or just puerile?

Not that it really matters. You see, the name is the most interesting thing about this Finnish solo project, as this is Sludge Metal at its most boring and directionless.

Don't get me wrong, Tuska can play a seriously heavy, slowed down riff about as well as you could want, but that seems to be the limit of his capabilities. The vocals are indistinct and the tinny production means that the songs are robbed of any strength they might otherwise have possessed.

It's frustrating. I really want to like this band, if only because of the name and, to be fair, the final track, 'Goatro', is a creepy piece of work that's worth a listen but once you've done that you're left with 16 minutes of ultra-slow sludge riffing that goes nowhere and accomplishes nothing.

What a shame.