© 2002-2023

Looks sinister, sounds sheepish. - 40%

AMSG403, February 20th, 2016

First off I will say that the themes are enjoyable and I can enjoy this blend of Uriah Heep, Black Sabbath and Mercyful Fate. But honestly the music itself I found lacking of that special something that makes me nod my head along to the thunderous music that usually plays from my speakers. Half the time I felt like I was listening to Uriah Heep's "Sign of the Gypsy Queen" on repeat, which is not exactly a bad thing, but at the same time it's not exactly something that I enjoy all the time. For me there's a little too much melody on certain songs, and it just seems funny that these guys in full costume with all the religious paraphernalia sound the way they do, their image kind of belies their true musical nature. I honestly thought that it would be at least 50% heavier than it was, at times I was disappointed with the fact that the lyrics were proper evil but the music sounded like prog rock. It just kind of defeats the purpose of the lyrics and theme to display them in a musical medium which is at times closer to bubblegum pop than heavy metal. There is no semblance of a sonic assault anywhere on the record, I know the album didn't advertise as such but I've heard radio rock heavier than this.

I can appreciate what the band is trying to achieve and can appreciate the fact that they're doing well, but please people shut the fuck up about them, they aren't going to be everyone's cup of tea. The album artwork for this is I assume an homage to Salem's Lot, and that's pretty fucking cool. But past their image and ideology I cannot get into them, and that reflects in the score I gave this album. I have given it as high of a mark as possible based simply on overall imagery and ideology, but again because of the music it simply falls flat. Good effort, but not for me and I'm kind of glad I was apprehensive and borrowed it first to check it out, wouldn't have been happy to buy a physical copy, I don't think this could even grow on me after a few listens.