Deep Zeppelin Sabbath Goes To Hell - 100%

SweetLeaf95, August 27th, 2015

It's no secret that Ghost are known for using retro based song structure borrowing from classic heavy metal acts with a dark overlay with Satanic and occult like themes. But every record that they release seems to have it's own unique twist to it. While Opus Eponymous was almost straight, solid metal with a huge Black Sabbath influence and a colder sound, and Infestissumam gave it a more upbeat Blue Oyster Cult sound, this one takes more of a classic rock approach. Without a doubt though, there is still a variety of sounds we are given here.

The songs that seem to use such an approach the most would easily be "Absolution" and "Majesty". The guitar parts have the hard edge that emerged from the seventies yet with the same kicked back feeling one gets when listening to this. To make it stand out even more, they add in a bit of a synth sound, one that Deep Purple would commonly use to go with their guitar solos, yet still following the path of Led Zeppelin at the same time. But of course, this isn't limited to that style. Obviously they visit themes and techniques used on the first two records, this is just like the extra that they decide to add with the release of a new record. The heaviest that this band has gone yet, at least in my opinion, is "Mummy Dust", which uses a fast, and deep distortion, much like one that Metallica would use, and the vocals are whispered, but in a way that seems like it's mocking harsh vocals. It's somewhat corny, but still a catchy tune, with its keyboards in the background to add to the melody. On the opposite side of things, this album gets very soft with "He Is", probably my favorite track. It's driven mostly by acoustics and piano, with soft singing vocals, executed beautifully.

Overall, the solo department seems to get a little excessive, which greatly increased the length of some songs. There's nothing wrong with long solos, but that's not what I look for the most in this band. There's two tracks that serve as interludes which were rather unnecessary, just simple little licks thrown in without much of a purpose. The drums also play less of a role. On past albums, such as the song "Zombie Queen", they really added to the intensity and energy. But that seems to be way less apparent on this record. I found that a little disappointing, but I can't expect a perfect record every time.

The rest is pretty standard Ghost, which is mostly self explanatory. Songs like "Cirice" and "From The Pinnacle To The Pit" use an edgy riff template and softer eerie sounding vocals. Obviously most of it follows the Satanic or Anti-God lyrical theme. If you get nothing else out of this, you have to at least admire the neat sounding atmosphere that comes with this. A band like this, you either hate them or you love them, there doesn't seem to be much gray space. Yes I know some of what they do can be cheesy, but it's still nothing you see every day, and it's all part of a great act. So who would I recommend this to? Anyone who likes retro rock or metal obviously, with darker twists. That goes without saying though, because by now, most have decided whether they like this band or not. But even if you don't, I still suggest giving it a try. Because it's a little more progressive than the past albums.