© 2002-2017

Let's call it a draw - 79%

gasmask_colostomy, August 28th, 2017

I think I've written comments before about Gamma Ray having an "unbeaten run" right through the middle of their discography (from Land of the Free in 1995 to Majestic in 2005), but I keep forgetting about this album every time I think of that great vein of form. There's not a great deal wrong with Power Plant when comparing it to other speed/power albums from the late '90s, though it's almost certainly the weakest of Gamma Ray's efforts from this time period, settling down between the punishingly heavy Somewhere Out in Space and the jaw-dropping masterwork No World Order!. I like it and listen to it quite a lot, plus it's got one of the coolest front covers from a band with a history of great album art, which this time isn't too close to ripping off an idea from Iron Maiden.

If we start with the negatives, that should give a chance to explain why you need to buy all those other Gamma Ray albums first before I tell you that you also need to buy this one. The major problem with Power Plant is that the album is too long as a whole and that individual songs are also rather lengthy considering that there aren't too many surprising twists and turns lurking among the structures of these 11 tracks. That the average length is close to six minutes should be a warning, while only three songs can be completed within five minutes, leaving the end of the album a bit of a drag to get through. Those structures don't really help matters because the majority of the songs pack in three verses, three choruses, a bridge, a solo, and perhaps a bit of time for riffing in the introduction, which is a great formula for a power metal song, just not if it's a similar formula for every power metal song on the same album. Despite clean introductions, a few changes of pace, and generally exciting musicianship, that means that the word predictable can certainly be tossed into the equation regarding Power Plant.

Also apparent is the fact that this is certainly more of a power metal album than most of the others that surround it chronologically. One reason why Gamma Ray delight me so much is that they don't buy into too many of the power metal clichés (except a few choruses, which is basically the best part), splicing their DNA with speed metal to keep the riffs biting and exciting, plus traditional heavy metal, providing that wonderful nostalgic feel and the emphasis for a lot of the shredding that the two guitarists turn out. On Power Plant, a song like 'Strangers in the Night' has speed riffing to open the verses and accompany the solos, but the very catchy chorus (the word "happy-clappy" was on the tip of my finger for a moment), the sort of choir vocal parts, the broad melodies, and the long epic outro rather diminish the infectious aggression that has always been at the heart of what makes this band essential. That's the case with quite a few of the songs here, while there are also instances of the band erring too close to repeating themselves with a couple of songs covering alien and space themes and another "heavy metal celebration" song. The slightly disappointing themes make themselves especially known further down the album when 'Wings of Destiny' and 'Hand of Fate' crop up with familiar titles and 'Heavy Metal Universe' bursts in with some predictable lyrics. See for yourself:

'cause it's a heavy metal universe
with a heavy metal sound
masters of the thunder
shake you to the ground.

However, I promised that I was going to insist that you bought Power Plant anyway, and so I will. Although the album does it too much, I already mentioned that Gamma Ray had found the perfect formula for this kind of song and it won't take more than a single listen to 'Anywhere in the Galaxy', 'Gardens of the Sinner', and 'Wings of Destiny' to be utterly convinced that there is nothing left out of any of them. The opener 'Anywhere in the Galaxy' particularly capitalizes on the excellence of the structure with a clean yet breathless introduction that grabs the listener right from the off (the band reverted to the technique for the fun 'Blood Religion' from Majesty) and doesn't let go for more than six minutes, taking in spectacular machine-gun speed riffing, a cream of the crop power metal chorus, and some great leads. As such, it isn't the style that's the issue, merely the overuse of that style. It doesn't help that the two most stylistically different songs are right in the middle of the release, the slower pace of 'Short as Hell' (disappointingly not about midgets) using one lurching riff to full effect before the cover of 'It's a Sin' surprises with melodic bliss and Kai Hansen's best vocal performance on the album. 'Heavy Metal Universe' is a bit different too, going for a more retro style, which - guess what - is very close to Judas Priest with its hard rock feel.

Other than that mid-section, Power Plant sticks to its guns fairly closely, although it's possible to recognize that 'Send Me a Sign' was written to be more accessible, ending up as the single, and 'Armageddon' went rather more explorative, clocking in at nearly nine minutes and tying with 'Dreamland in Rebellion' for the title of Gamma Ray's longest song. Thus, the album does have the material to be interesting throughout much of its 63 minutes, though the running order is unhelpful. On the other hand, there is a small bone to pick with the performances, which are all of a high standard yet appear to be less passionate than one would expect from this line-up. Listening to Hansen's searing vocals on No World Order! can literally bring tears to the eyes, but nothing here has the same kind of power, nor do the musicians' personalities shine as they did on the cheekily complex Majestic, despite some top-notch skills exhibited in the guitar and drumming departments. The production is slightly deader than one would like, emphasizing less of the heaviness than the melody and not especially helping Dirk Schlächter's bass, though it's the combination of sound quality and performance quality that lessens the effect of the songs.

Therefore, I would recommend you to invest in Somewhere Out in Space and certainly No World Order! as fast as possible and, if you like both of them, to buy this and listen to it a bit at a time. A few songs are truly excellent, such as 'Anywhere in the Galaxy', 'It's a Sin', and 'Wings of Destiny', while a few are not up to much, but nothing is actually bad, just awkwardly organized and lacking a finishing touch. In the light of this album, perhaps I can rename the "unbeaten run" as a "winning streak with a draw in the middle".

General Hansen of the Army of the Immortals - 95%

TrooperEd, November 27th, 2016

The finest classic metal accomplishment of the 90’s. The lineup of Hansen/Zimmerman/Richter/Schlachter has had a year to gel and what a difference! No interlude tracks, and while it does suffer from maybe one track too many, 9 of the 11 tracks here are classics, loud and proud to be carrying on the tradition of metal the way it was meant to be played: shredding solos, screaming octave ranges and drum fills galore. The album starts off with Kai quietly singing and strumming on his guitar. While most bands (notably Metallica) do this to lure the listener into a false sense of security, you know something big is coming....wait for it...wait for it....I’M RUNNING HOOOOOOOOOOOOO BAM! Anywhere In The Galaxy you on a roller coaster ride that does not end until the soft closing moments of Armageddon, which also closes with a rather harsh lyric as well. It was absolutely disgusting how the metal press completely ignored the power metal movement of the 90’s in favor of wigger mannerisms and sterile grooves. They claimed they were sick of the metal formula, which is the biggest crock of shit since if they were sick of the metal formula after a generation, they would have been sick of it in 1979 and never given rise to the NWOBHM, nor Priest, nor Manowar, nor Ozzy’s solo career, nor any of the other bands that kept the rock & roll formulas of Kiss, Rush, Purple, Sabbath, etc. going.

So many great moments of this album, from the phased intro of Razorblade Sigh to its later guitar solo that kicks out of one of the finest thrash breaks ever, the singalong fun (yea that’s right, fun, you know that thing metal is supposed to be about before Jonathon Davis convinced you it was uncool) of Send Me A Sign and Heavy Metal Universe, the brilliantly metalized cover of It’s A Sin, the thrash metal destruction of Strangers In The Night (which kind of lifts the Metal Meltdow...errrrr 7th Day of July 1777 riff), the closing number of Armageddon, a fantastic epic that both Keeper albums wish it had. There's even a Youthanasia worship moment in Short As Hell from out of left field pulled off flawlessly! Wings of Destiny, while a bit on the cheesy side, shows how perfectly the deadly foursome of Kai, Henjo, Dirk and Dan have locked into each other. The song switches sick 4/4 rhythms and grooves on a dime, and only the most skilled of musicians can pull that off. blah blah blah what Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Dio etc. etc. should have been putting out in the 90s rather than trying to "get with the times." When is everyone going to realize that "getting with the times" is going to ultimately end up dating it to a time period? At least date it to a time period when metal ruled. Out of all most so called "90's power metal" this is likely the one Maiden and Priest fans will be the most welcoming too as opposed to the multilayered choruses and off the wall upper neck licks of Blind Guardian. Mind you there's nothing wrong with those one iota, but the idiotic phrase, "too European" gets thrown around when it comes to most power metal. Bitch, metal in general is European, and don't you VH1 brainwashed drones ever forget that! This is the album where Gamma Ray became immortal. This is also an album no self-respecting fan of the classics should be without.

Recommended Songs:

Razorblade Sigh
Anywhere In The Galaxy
Armageddon

unoriginal but good - 70%

The_Ghoul, April 9th, 2008

Upon listening to this, I was astounded at how fucking awesome it is. However, something didn't seem right... until a few minutes later, when I realized what it is. I wasn't listening to Gamma Ray -- Powerplant, I was listening to Iron Maiden -- Powerslave. I was listening to Manowar -- Louder Than Hell. I was listening to Judas Priest -- Painkiller. I was listening to Iron Savior. I was listening to Yngwie Malmsteen -- Marching Out. But I wasn't listening to Gamma Ray.

Sure, the Ray (and Kai Hansen by extension) have always been ones to wear their influences on their sleeves. But this is ridiculous. Several times I recognize riffs from other albums, sometimes I recognize riffs that have been changed around slightly, and other times it just sounds like the particular riff wouldn'tve been out of place on an album by one of the veterans mentioned above. Of course, there are several moments where it is original Gamma Ray, where Kai Hansen finds his voice. But those moments are fleeting. Somewhere Out In Space was way more original, with anthems that beg to be sung along to and riffs that are unmistakably Gamma Ray. But not on Powerplant.

That being said, this album rocks, with a flawless production (like usual) but even more cutting and heavy than usual. Kai's singing is improving from album to album, and on here, it gets to the professional level where a singer like Ralf Scheepers is unnecessary. As well, there are fast songs, epic songs, and slow songs, nice variety, and every song (except a couple) shines in its own way.

A few songs stand out in particular. One is Heavy Metal Universe, but not in a good way. Kai, your name is not Eric Adams, and you have no business writing and singing a song that is a blatant ripoff of "The Gods Made Heavy Metal" off of Manowar's Louder Than Hell. Kai's vocals do not suite the style at all, he should stick to power/speed, that's where his strength is. On a more positive note, Garden of the Sinner and Hand of Fate were clear winners, making my fist pierce the air whenever they came on. Epic, marching, and righteous, they mark a more serious, epic sound for Gamma Ray as opposed to the more flippant style of yesteryear. Short As Hell is a heavy metal song that works to Kai's advantage, relying on the darker, more evocational sound rather than the upfront ballsy sound of Heavy Metal Universe, which Kai's vocals sound totally out-of-place. The least he could've done would've been to have Eric guest sing on Heavy Metal Universe.

All in all, Powerplant is indeed a rewarding listen, and is done quite competently. However, I can't give as many points as I'd like to, because of the blatant artistic robbery. I liked Somewhere Out in Space and Land of the Free because Gamma Ray had an unmistakable sound on those, whereas here it's hard to distinguish Gamma Ray from their influences, not counting Kai's singing, which is easily recognizable. The bad news is that it never gets better, which is a shame, because this new sound is indeed more rewarding than their old sound. Too bad it's stolen.

What had gotten into them...? - 60%

Agonymph, August 3rd, 2004

Okay, so here's the story...it's the year of 1999 and Gamma Ray has a history of releasing awesome records. Yours truly knew that and went out and bought their new release 'Powerplant'. So far so good. Yours truly put on the CD and was surprised by the awesome opener 'Anywhere In The Galaxy', a great and energizing song. That was promising for the entire album! After that came the track 'Razorblade Sigh', an okay track, but "okay" is not what I'm used to with Gamma Ray, Kai's vocals are also terribly out of tune at some parts of this song, but that happens more often, so I just ignored that, as well as the incredibly stupid lyrics and waited for the next couple of songs. It seemed like that waiting was worth while; 'Send Me A Sign' is easily one of the best Gamma Ray songs even and the following tracks 'Strangers In The Night' and 'Gardens Of The Sinner' are actually very decent too. The hope for the rest of the album was good.
Oof! Painful penalty there! 'Short As Hell' is a weird track, sounds like Kiss is playing this: stupid lyrics and a way too simple composition. That intro riff is repeated way too long. A pretty bad track. The following Pet Shop Boys-cover 'It's A Sin' is acceptable, in fact it's a lot better than the original (not that that is hard, but that's beside the point).
But then...'Heavy Metal Universe'...Kai...what the hell has gotten into you by making such a boring and stupid Manowar-ish track? Joey DeMaio is laughing at you! And that's pretty bad! The music is boring and predictable and the lyrics...well...sorry Kai, but..."Heavy Metal is the only one"??? "Heavy Metal is our promised land"??? My God! Please write about outer space again, that's getting predictable too, but at least that's a lot better than this...This song works pretty well live, but on the album, it's nothing but a filler, skip it!
'Wings Of Destiny' is a cliché Power Metal track with an awful chorus which doesn't fit with the rest of the song and am I the only one who hears Slayer's 'Dissident Aggressor' in 'Hand Of Fate'? And what's up with the lyrics of that chorus?
Luckily the album is closed off in style with 'Armageddon'. Okay the lyrics to this song are pretty cliché too, but the music is really awesome and actually very surprising too. That piano part near the end of the song is just brilliant and both Kai and Henjo play beautiful solos in this song.
Well, I'm sorry, but I still can't see why this is the favorite of so many Gamma Ray fans. 'Powerplant' is a boring and predictable album, with parts that sometimes sound unbelievably familiar, I'm quite sure many parts of the album are recycled from other Gamma Ray albums or albums from other bands. If you get their compilation 'Blast From The Past', you'll have the best three songs off the album. See if you can get 'Strangers In The Night' and 'Gardens Of The Sinner' somewhere from someone and you're done. What a piece of crap from a band which once released the wonderful 'Land Of The Free' album...

A bit predictable, but it's still good stuff - 87%

OSheaman, July 14th, 2003

Whatever we may think of Kai Hansen and his apparantly jumbo-sized ego, there is no denying that he is a huge force in the metal world. Gamma Ray, his handmade band, has proven their worth, and although they sound suspiciously like Helloween, they have Good Things happening in this album.

Highlights here are many. The first track, Anywhere in the Galaxy, is the real high-speed masterpiece on the album and features a fantastic guitar solo from Mr. Hansen. Razorblade Sigh has some very great riffs, although does anybody else hear Number of the Beast in there besides me? The Pet Shop Boys cover, It's a Sin, is very well-done and adds a new dimension to the sound (though I suppose we have the Pet Shop Boys to thank for that, no?).

Powerplant is Speed/Power Metal to an extreme, and while that's good in many respects, it falls a bit into the trap that claims many Speed Metal bands: many songs sound the same, and the album blends together a little.

You'll notice I used the phrases 'a bit' and 'a little.' That would be because there are enough different songs in here to keep the album interesting, which is a great sign, although many of these songs are covers. Heavy Metal Universe might as well have Manowar stamped all over it, but it really fits in well and adds some variety to the album. Armageddon stands out here because it's so fucking fast that everything else sounds like a Barry White marathon in comparison. A While in Dreamland, one of the bonus tracks, is certainly different (it's a slow piano solo with Kai singing), but it's different in the fact that it's R&B and doesn't belong on the album. The real gem on here, though, is the bonus track Long Live Rock 'n' Roll, which is a Rainbow cover, thus officially establishing the fact that Rainbow's songs are so fucking good that other bands can improve the quality of their albums by 100% by simply making a cover of their shit. It's incredible.

Kai knows his music, and this is an excellent Speed/Power album. It's worth adding to the ol' collection, because it features a lot of good ass-kicking music and quite an assortment of covers. Fun for the whole family. Huzzah.

Fast and furious! - 91%

UltraBoris, August 14th, 2002

This is the definitive Gamma Ray album, simply because it starts to rock, and then never stops again. There is no filler - no silly ballads, no goofy interludes, it just totally owns you from beginning to end, refusing to let you go until it has turned you into a quivering mass of assorted carbonic byproducts.

Highlights. Oh dear, all of them. [insert song title here] is totally good speed metal. There is even a Pet Shop Boys cover, "It's a Sin", which is made so it totally doesn't stick out. "Heavy Metal Universe" is complete Manowar worship, complete with Gods-Made-Heavy-Metal bludgeon riff. "Wings of Destiny" has to be some kind of Judas Priest tribute (though not as overt as, say, "Solid" from the next album!) "Armageddon" closes the album and is an epic smashing number, with an amazing series of guitar solos.

In short, this album can do no wrong. A classic of German speed metal, almost as good as the legendary Walls of Jericho.