Was Not Expecting That Last Song - 65%

Thumbman, December 2nd, 2019

Man, sometimes it's really cool to take a look back at the humble origins of bands that later grew into something great. While this certainly isn't anything I'd ever come back to, it was fairly cool to delve into Full of Hell's origins. They definitely weren't bad at their instruments from the start and you can trace the seeds of a lot of the facets of their sound they later went whole hog on. The Inevitable Fear of Existence is largely crusty hardcore with raw, subterranean production with one really interesting twist at the end.

Most of the album is happy to rage on as crust-imbued hardcore that would make a troglodyte proud with its simple, pummeling riffs. While not amazing or anything, it's enjoyable. There's some variety in the vocals, with a frantic high pitch yell interchanging with a sepulchral bellow. The production is super weird here, it's bass heavy as fuck and kind of sounds like it was recorded underwater. It's not great and I'm sure you could chalk a lot of it up to them being a new band figuring out how to record, but I have to admit it gives the recording a certain unique character. The closing title track is by far <inevitable 's strongest volley. The slow-burning dissonant sludge riffs over slowly pounding tom-beats really carves out a unique post-apocalyptic atmosphere. It almost comes off like Khanate covering something off Through Silver in Blood. Pained black metal rasps are employed for the song, which perfectly fit the standing-in-the-ashes atmosphere. Honestly this is some of the most interesting detours Full of Hell have taken and I was kind of taken aback to find it amongst their largely unremarkable first recording.

The Inevitable Fear of Existence wasn't a waste of time, but most of it I have no intention of returning to. The crust-laden hardcore is cool and the weird, raw production works for them. It's not that memorable in the big scheme of things, but it works. t's nice to see they knew their way around their instruments right out the gate, and its fun for a nerd like me to trace back the influences hiding in the shadow that would later become a big part of their sound. All that said, the closing song absolutely kills and I urge everyone to check it out.