Well that is certainly a tasteless cover - 85%

Cheeses_Priced, April 7th, 2008

I am not very smart. For instance, I own a physical copy of Necrophagia's “Seasons of the Dead” album, which I voluntarily paid for, at full price, with my own money – and I have the accompanying “Through Eyes of the Dead” video tape! It is actually much worse than the album, which is no easy feat. Basically, I can easily be tricked into buying nearly anything if it references horror movies, much as I can be tricked into buying nearly any horror movie merely because it exists.

In the case of Fondlecorpse, I noticed that the band not only have a horror movie-based concept, but seem to have a special fondness for “creaturegore,” as they put it – Gremlins, Critters and the like. No CGI! It's difficult for me to conceive how a band might do a song about the movie Basketcase and somehow not be good; my brain's funny like that.

And they are good! I lucked out.

Just to sample the attitude here, note that the liner notes contain a brief “Tribute to Slasher Movie Shower Scenes” and an admonishment of vocal effects (“Train your vocal chords!”). This is not the metal soundtrack of a horror movie, it is the metal soundtrack of being drunk and watching a horror movie. That seems to be what Razorback's after when they sign bands – that “Impetigo atmosphere”. The reader might object that all this talk about the sorts of movies the band likes is a bit irrelevant, but I find that attitude makes a big difference. It seeps into the flavor of the music in subtle ways, making bands that sound the same somehow sound different. Death metal is serious art, after all.

Naturally, every song starts off with a sample. The ensuing onslaught is direct and dead-catchy, but not poppy. Construction is basically old school but modernized in ways that are acceptable, such as the ultra-low vocals, which sound like a Rhinoceros being suffocated but are still almost-understandable after repeat listens. Of special note are the occasional melodic leads, which are very METAL! and go a ways toward making the songs easily distinguishable, which is a big point in favor of a somewhat populist band like Fondlecorpse. “The Night He Came Home” borrows John Carpenter's theme from Halloween, and it ends up sounding a lot like the sort of thing the band might write anyway.

I am not sure what listening to this does for one's elitist cred; it does buck a lot of the dominant trends in death metal, like noodly “technicality” and relentless blasting, but it's not nearly foreboding enough to put on in the middle of the night when you're in the mood for some frowning and stewing, if that's what you're after. If the band's concept interests you, the music should not disappoint.