© 2002-2018

Doomsday for Drudgerous Basslines - 90%

metalfukinhead, February 5th, 2003

I have to admit that for the longest time i wasn't really into this cd, but that changed after seeing a few months of heavy rotation in my discman, and after re-evaluating my take on Eric's high-pitched vocals, i think this is one of the best examples of thrash.

This is the debut album of thrash veterans Flotsam & Jetsam. Jason Newsted plays bass and wrote most of the music on this album which is now sounding quite dated with subpar production. Although F&J eventually matured into one of heavy metals most distinct and enjoyable thrash bands, this album leaves a lot to be desired on the production end of things. I suppose one of the cool things is that this album is completely naked, and it's rawness and pure energy might have been lost had it been polished the way all recordings are these days.

True, the bass on this album is stupendous in places, especially in Metalshock where Jason plays a bass solo, but the songs themselves can become pointless thrash and in some places, have hard to understand high-pitched vocals. It would almost seem as though Eric A.K. was still in the process of going through puberty when he did this album, but I gotta admit, he did a good job in most songs, especially the epic title track, which in my mind is one of the greatest songs ever written. The thing that makes this album interesting overall is the way the bass drives it more than anything (except maybe Maiden) ever had up until its time. Jason really proves that he knows what he's doing with the 4 strings. That said, Metallica should've listened to him a little more, cuz he is one creative motherfucker.

The drumming on Doomsday is fairly standard thrash, and the guitar work is reminescent of Iron Maiden, but more thrashy and less melodic. Truly this album might be a whole hell of a lot better if the production was modern, I would love this album that much more. I don't believe there are any bands that can compare with the sound of F&J however, and this album is a must have for anyone who considers themselves a metalhead!