© 2002-2022

Fleshwrought > Dementia / Dyslexia > Reviews > killard
Fleshwrought - Dementia / Dyslexia

Fleshwrought - Dementia/Dyslexia - 90%

killard, October 18th, 2011

I'd like to start off by saying the line-up of this project completely took me by surprise. I mean, here you have Jonny Davy, the vocalist of Job For a Cowboy. A band that started out as every deathcore kid's favourite band and quickly evolved into the skillful death metal powerhouse that they are today. Sounds like its going to be an average/solid death metal album going by that alone, right?

Ah, not so fast! There's still one other person on this record. Navene Koperweis, the drummer of the highly-acclaimed progressive 3-piece Animals as Leaders, handles ALL instruments on the record. Before hearing of this record I was actually unaware that Navene even played guitar, let alone being good enough to play the technical guitar mastery that appears on this album. His playing is chock-full of very fast moving riffs and turnarounds, guitar solos that successfully bridge the elusive gap between typical metal shredding and soulful melody, and to top it all off, very tasteful breakdowns/grooves that aren't at all generic.

Now onto the actual music...

The album opens with the track "Mental Illness" which starts off with an "electronic glitch" sound (probably made with a heavily processed guitar) before going into a riff and drum pattern that wouldn't be so out-of-place on a Meshuggah album. Davy's vocals on this song (on all of them, for that matter) are similar to his performance on Ruination, JFAC's 2009 album, although they are noticeably better and fit surprising well with the music. The rest of the track follows suit for the most part, technical death metal riffs that would make Muhammed jealous and drumming that could send Tomas Haake back to the practice room.

The third track, "Programming the Herds", is another standout track that deserves to be addressed specifically. This song is, for the most part, quite similar to the rest of the album (see last sentence of the previous paragraph) save for one crucial point. The solo. But wait, that's no guitar. Is that...a SAXOPHONE?! ON A METAL ALBUM?!

Yes, yes it is. And it fits perfectly with the backing riffs and even moreso when the guitar joins in unison. I'm not sure who plays it (my money's on Yakuza's Bruce Lamont) but it's simply perfect!

There's not really too much more to say about the album that I haven't already talked about. There are some interesting electronic sections interspersed with the metal content. Several of the tracks feature underlying melodic bass solos (a BIG plus.) On the final track "Final Nausea" there were many riffs that made me, as a musician in a band that I contribute songwriting to, really take notice as to how creative and original they were yet still managed to be brutal AND melodic at the same time.

All in all, this is a top-notch progressive death metal album. I would highly recommend it to any fan of AAL and even JFAC fans, but also people that dig Gorguts, Necrophagist, Meshuggah, Gojira, or PIg Destroyer. Or just any fan of very creative, highly skillful, metal music in general.