© 2002-2021

Power metal from a blinded mind - 70%

Forever Underground, November 24th, 2021

First of all, the question that many of us have when facing this work. Why it had to be power metal? I mean, the main reason why this band gets attention is because it is a project of the keyboardist of the black metal band Nokturnal Mortum. Anyone would think that it would be an extreme metal band, but this is a power/folk metal album. It is true that cataloging a genre by the topic of the lyrics is absurd, pop and traditional rock have had songs of all kinds and even in black metal we have seen works with positive lyrics such as the recent "Empire of Love" by Violet Cold. However it is true that each musical genre has a pattern that makes it sound the way it does, and it is impossible to deny that depending on the emotional charge and style of music a genre will lean more towards a more specific set of lyrical themes, usually when my friends who don't listen to metal ask me why the vocalists of the generic death or black metal band I'm listening to at that moment sing like that my answer is always "they are singing about death/violence/satanism/patriotism etc, you can't expect them to sing in a happy way that kind of themes". So because the mentality that we ourselves have of classifying things by a series of patterns that we recognize, many people are surprised when they find a band like Finist, that without leaving behind the more cheerful tone of power metal, sings about such crude things as white supremacy, patriotism or anti-semitism. But actually this has an answer, even if it is quite macabre if you think about it seriously, and that is that Satorius' lyrics have a distinctly positive tone, far from the hate-filled lyrics that we are shown regarding these topics, Satorius' mind sees his fight as already lost, he does not believe that the Jews are going to take his land, it is already taken by them, so the only thing he can do is sing about how victory will come. A truly blind mind.

So we have a multi-instrumentalist (although there are several instruments that are played by session/guest musicians) who has spent most of his career doing black metal, how does he perform in such a different genre? Well, you have to admit that Satorius has serious problems to not drag elements of the field he knows, not because of the use of harsh vocals per se, there are quite a few power/folk bands that use them from time to time like on this album, but this time you feel that Satorius really wants to use clean vocals but is unable to do it, mainly because they are not good, and there are moments when he needs to find comfort in an inhospitable land, also shown in an inability to abandon the folk elements that have always been present in his career, and this again could be seen as a part of the musical goal of the album but personally I don't get the intention of adding that sound when your goal is to be a complete duplicate of classic european power metal.

And speaking of duplicating, have I already commented how well Satorius builds this classic power metal? This is the greatest virtue of the album, the amount of anthemic songs that work with the typical structure of this genre, the fast rhythms, the melodic tonality, a whole pastiche of sounds that we already know but that works really well, and it really doesn't surprise me that the compositional qualities of Satorius are good even if it's something generic. If it wasn't for the lyrics I wouldn't be ashamed to admit that I have had for several days a few songs of this album stuck in my head because of their cheesy and catchy chorus, if we add that the more distinctive elements, although artificial, give it a more unique personality, we end up with an album where almost all the songs shine by their own light reaching the final apogee in the epic "The Awakening" that shows all the virtues shown in the album as a closing.

And I say almost all the songs because it would be impossible not to mention the sperpentic "Time Has Come", this was the first song I listened to from Finist and I did it only because of the incredibly idiotic lyrics I saw it had, luckily this song is not a representation of the rest of the album but you can't avoid seeing it as a big negative spot to value the overall album. For those who haven't heard it, I'm not exaggerating if I say that it could perfectly pass for a crappy song that you would hear in a Eurovision contest (if you change the lyrics of course) that piano sound so worn out trying to be melodic, that power ballad rhythm that makes a crecendo towards the chorus, but the worst is the terrible terrible almost comical voice of Satorius trying to be melodic and sweet and the only thing he gets is that people asking themselves if this song and the whole album in general is a parody, absolute absurdity at all levels. And the worst of all is the reason of its existence, in his attempt to imitate to the fullest a power metal album Satorius found himself in the situation of having to include by obligation a ballad that he was simply incapable of doing, but due to his lack of creativity in this section he preferred to do this terrorist act called "Time Has Come" than to do something of his own and with it losing quality and seriousness.

Moral of the story: If you don't know how to do something better don't do it or you can almost ruin your whole album for that nonsense.