© 2002-2021

Technical slamming. - 78%

Goran, March 13th, 2013

This is Fetal Decay's second full-length album and it's a marriage of brutality and technicality. Perhaps the easiest comparison is with Dying Fetus. Just like them, this Russian combo have some typical mid-paced grooving going on. It's not quite slam death, but it's slamming still.

Amidst the chords, high-pitched and veloce licks spice up the songs, however Fetal Decay isn't always straightforward and aims for a bit of special effects. Odd pitch harmonics and flanger-like processing on the lead guitar makes for some variation, but I'm not sure if it's always an improvement. I have to admit I was taken by surprise by some fine guitar wizardry, but after a couple of songs the repeated use of sweep patterns and (after a while, annoying) harmonics will do, thanks very much.

Oh yeah, the drums are programmed, but with a knowledgeable approach and production. The result is quite 'realistic' - props to the mastermind guitarist.

All in all, "You Have No Choice" conveys serious musicianship and if you want to calculate the chances you'll like it, think about how much you're into Dying Fetus.

Originally written for and published on www.corazine.com