Successful Allure - 90%

Morgothesadman, September 23rd, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Lupus Lounge (Digipak)

The third release from German beasts Farsot sees the band carrying with the burden of their previous album and masterpiece "Insects". After creating something as good as "Insects" (which I think is their best work to date) is hard for any band to reinvent themselves, nevertheless Farsot have succeeded. And is fantastic.

I have been wating for a new album from this band since 2012, so I was very excited when "Fail-Lure" was release. I wanted more of that sound they achieved in their second album, and boy I got it, but with a new and different approach.

Fail·Lure is a great album full with Farsot trade marks such as marvellous riffs, atmospheric parts, epic vocals and outstanding drumming. But the real highlight of this album is the composition and structure. They seem to have created a new path to make black metal, take Vitrolic for instance. A song that starts with your typical spooky intro, you are waiting for the blast-beat to break it, which it does, of course, but just after the first musical notes show up, rare and creepy. Next you get lost into a labyrinth of a beauteous metal performance. There are changes in pace and tempo in the guitar line but not in the drums, a few moments later there is a musical bridge that leads you to a very convoluted drum pursuance and a fight between both guitars, then clean vocals strike as choirs from the void. Its epic, melodic, claustrophobic and haunting.

Arpeggios are another brilliant executed part in the album, every time the guitarists start playing one you get amazed by the complexity and effort they put in every single chord. Keyboards take place under the surface but they create the perfect ambience for the albums mood.

The Antagonist is perhaps the best song in an album full of great songs. It has a more conventional structure and even a chorus, but Farsot made a real opus with this one, it is heavy, enjoyable, brutal, yet dark and murky. Everything done right in this album is done superb on this track.The last track, as a tradition it seems, is an instrumental and relaxing one, an appropriate and wise way to close a work as good as Fail·Lure .

With so many black metal bands releasing predictable albums with the same predictable riffs, claiming to be trve but lacking originality, sounding similar to each other, it’s beyond satisfaction to put on an album by an artist you are rooting for and be completely and absolutely rewarded as a fan and surprised by the product. This album has soul and brains on it. And I hope this is the path black metal is taking.