Superb - 95%

IndividualThought, April 5th, 2013

Well, it's here, the EP we've all been waiting for from everyone's favorite atmospheric/technical death metal quintet (on this EP, Rob Maramonte left shortly after), Fallujah. At 18 minutes, this EP may leave something to be desired, but I feel the length is not an hindrance, this EP offers everything I was looking for, and it offers great insight to their next album; which I can speculate will be very professional indeed. The interesting thing about this EP is that it's an even more experimental continuation of the their last album, The Harvest Wounds.

Beginning with The Dead Sea was a great move on Fallujah's part, it sets the groundwork for the rest of the EP, and hopefully future releases to come; it's atmospheric, technical, ambient, and almost has a post-rock feel to it, but it doesn't lose it's death metal mentality, the same can be said for Venom Upon the Blade. What I like about the metal tracks most, actually, may be the vocals, they are viciously good, very dissonant and enigmatic in nature, varying from growling to screaming. It would have been awesome if they incorporated some clean singing also (I didn't detract for this). Other than that, the guitars are superb ranging from every style of playing; tremolo, technical riffing, post-rock-ish riffs, "speaking" and it's all just very fitting. The drumming is fantastic also, easily some of the best drumming I've heard in a while; very accurate, bombastic, energetic. The bass is actually audible (at times) which is another interesting aspect of the album.

Now, the outlier on the album, Silence. First of all, this came out of nowhere, but I guess it was expected; they are trying to experiment, and doing a darn good job of it. It's an ambient track, but it's pretty good. It fits in well, with Fallujah's atmospheric side. I detracted 5 points from the rating, because, frankly, I expected more metal.

Now, if this EP is any foreshadowing to their future album (which, from what I've heard, is in the the works, scheduled for a late 2013/early 2014 release), the album will be as interesting as it will be fantastic. I'm definitely keeping my eye out for it. Getting back on track, you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you ignore this EP, buy it immediately!