© 2002-2020

A Dark Viking Tale - 70%

Petrus_Steele, February 13th, 2020
Written based on this version: 1998, CD, Napalm Records

I have this strange feeling that when a band is a whole, rather than a single artist doing all the job, the product seems more fulfilled and complete, and just the fact that you have a bunch of musicians working together. By having one artist doing all the work, it kinda throws me off. The thing with Falkenbach, however, is that ...Magni Blandinn ok Megintíri... (which roughly translates to ...Mixed with Strength and Glory...) has a very interesting sound that I couldn’t refuse to listen. And as I write this review, I didn’t realize until now that Falkenbach is, well, just one musician doing all the work.

The album offers six tracks, the last one being an instrumental outro and the other five are songs. Though I must note, the album is quite predictable and repetitive, as if the man behind Falkenbach wanted to stretch his songs instead of adding more substance. Ironically, I enjoyed the similar songs than the ones that were darker and experimental, including the instrumental track.

...When Gjallarhorn Will Sound, Towards the Hall of Bronzen Shields, and Walhall are the three songs I was referring to that sound similar, and these three are my recommendations for this album. I can’t tell what’s the exact instrument or effect used in the first song, but during the shrieking while the song becomes intense, not only it helps the atmosphere, but it also gives you the impression like you’re sailing into a maelstrom. Musically, the song is mixed with clean, excellent and accented vocals by Vratyas Vakyas (real name Markus Tümmers), while also offering said shrieking. The composition is unbelievably superb, from the guitars, bass, and drums, to the keyboard and string implementations. The other two songs mostly showcase Vratyas’s melodic singing and his work behind the keyboards. These were the main drive for these songs, while the guitars and drums sounded more like background music. Unlike the third song, the fifth song has more substance, musical content, better and not so repetitive transitions, as well as being more melodic and Vratyas showing more of his German accent.

As strange as it sounds, I didn’t like the more distinguishable songs and the instrumental track. Let’s just say right off the bat that ...Where Blood Will Soon Be Shed is the heaviest song on the album, showing its darker tones from the vocals department, while offering more engaging rawer guitar riffs. Much like Towards the Hall of Bronzen Shields, it’s a repetitive song. The Heathenish Foray‘s orientation revolves on more folk-ish sounds and vocals. I liked the overall approach, but it was REPETITIVE, like a spreading infection. And finally, the instrumental track Baldurs Tod was boring. More of applying the folk-ish instrumentation than giving something spectacular.

The biggest flaw of ...Magni Blandinn ok Megintíri... is its repetitiveness. Being a pretty long record for six tracks that for their duration offered predictable song structure and transitions and being stretched, it’s still quite an experience to listen to something that’s quite adventurous. I just wish that “adventure” wasn’t repeatedly dull. It’s pretty obvious which songs are the best, but I will say The Heathenish Foray wasn’t so bad itself.