© 2002-2022

Faith Factor - 07-07-07

Classy USPM Sampler - 96%

Zod, October 23rd, 2021
Written based on this version: 2007, CD, Metallic Archangel Records

The 07/07/07 EP from Faith Factor serves as a sampler of their sound and style, released around a year before they would release their debut full-length album.

This album shows the gamut of what Faith Factor is about: metal sing-along anthems, darker USPM-styled head voice-screaming clinics, and keyboard-drenched power ballads. Each is done at a very high level, and they show that this is a band not merely aping styles of the past that they don't fully grasp. This is a band who wrote these types of songs decades ago and they know what it takes to make each style work effectively.

Immediately people will take notice of vocalist Ski's vocal range and proficiency. I think any fan of Rob Halford or Ripper Owens will appreciate Ski's amazing abilities. While impressive, we mustn't overlook the effectiveness of his bandmates in their contributions. The guitar riffs are very catchy and never over-done. I also particularly liked the drumming in "Deceiver", the heaviest track on the EP. "The Angel and the Butterfly" is a moving ballad that shows how well these songs can work, though they seem to be seldom written today.

I subtracted a few bands over a few minor issues, as I don't think any metal album is truly perfect and there is always something more to strive for. I think the lyrics could've been more effective for the message they are conveying, and I am unclear on what the metaphor of "the angel and butterfly" represents. On the same song there is also an awkward key change right before the guitar solo that should've been smoothed out.

Nevertheless, I think fans of Deadly Blessing, Judas Priest, and Jag Panzer would really love this EP.