© 2002-2017

C'mon Baby Light My Fyre! - 95%

CHAIRTHROWER, December 7th, 2017
Written based on this version: 2017, Digital, Independent (Bandcamp)

Holy crow! I’m indubitably enthralled by Bellwood, Pennsylvania's Fyre and its independently released full-length debut, III Ghosts, as I instantly took to the seven sparkling and refreshingly melodic tracks like a duck to water. In spite of the occult-ish lyrical themes the material at hand is imbued with an undeniable basic goodness and liberal flair which has permeated my soul. I’m even experiencing the magical feeling associated with meeting a woman for the first time and connecting like we’ve known each other our entire lives. Augural indeed!

Rocking the mantle from the get-go with a kick-ass, spirited opener in “Madness”, the sextet features an unorthodox vocal duo which definitely brings something special to the table; one’s gripping, shakily delivered Eric Sugg/Geddy Lee vocal style dominates throughout while the other drops the dime in the form of a phlegm filled growling outburst on the last quarter of the six-minute title-track and closer which just so happens to be the heaviest track of all. Between these compelling bookends expect an exciting gallimaufry of Bounty fresh, un-assaultive guitar riffs and re-assuring, wistful progressions such as the lullaby-evoking intros to “Memo” and “Doorbell”; the former brings to mind a fascinating amalgam of the Pixies and Smashing Pumpkins with its happy staccato hop and classic, care-free beat while the latter smacks of 1970s Bang! style proto-metal kookiness, along with a latent, diametrically opposed and intensely hypnotic and snappish drum patter. Oh, need I mention how crisp and tasty the production and guitar/bass tones are? Another swift number which makes me promote Fyre to everyone within earshot is the swiftly revolving and level, hard-driving “Doctor, Doctor” (UFO gives its blessing!).

I also can’t get enough of “Thy Will Be Done” thanks to its conservative but bad to the bone, eerie and downright captivating guitar riff punctuated by more of that singularly relentless madcap percussion, with the stellar vocals taking center stage as usual. When the trance-inducing riff returns 2.5 minutes in, all bets are off. Consider me a full-fledged Fyre freak. Lead guitar isn’t overly prominent but allows the heady, colorful rhythms to fully sink in. Mind you, the solo a minute into “No Remorse” surges so abruptly you’re head will spin even after it’s worked its rude pentatonic magic.

Even non-metal heads will assuredly dig Fyre’s Ghost III; the simple yet resplendent cover art alone had me sold. All I need now is a stamp as it’s definitely worth writing home about.