Definitely more thrash oriented. - 88%

CHRISTI_NS_ANITY8, January 17th, 2009

Possessed by Fire has been archived as a great thrash surprise in 1986 and just one year after, Exumer is again ready to brutalize our ears with more burning metal. Rising From the Sea also marks the last chapter by this band under the full-length format. Again, a bit more than 30 minutes are sufficient for this band to take no prisoners thanks its brutal approach to metal. However, we must remark few things on this new album and the first one we can immediately notice is the production. This time, the band has chosen a far rawer and essential one. Quite surprisingly, as the time has passed by, the production has come back in terms of power and clearness.

Since the opener, “Winds of Death” we can hear to dry riffs and an essential drums sound. The speed metal elements are less present and the few fast restarts point more on the classic thrash metal. Maybe, it’s also a matter of production but I don’t hear those more speed metal oriented elements that much. However, there are pros too and one of these is the power the band always manages to create in every single composition. Maybe, this time they pointed a bit more on the mi-paced parts for some compositions but they are not annoying or too repetitive. It’s obvious that a band like this is better on the faster restarts but the mid-paced sections are good too.

The title track has lots of galloping riffs on the first part and they are just great. I can only imagine those ones with a better production. The catchiness and the choruses are always well-recognizable as we go on with the following “Decimation”. The vocals continue their march trough lower tonalities to suddenly explode into high pitched screams. The guitars solo sections are just obliterating for their rawness and “in your face” style. There is also a sort of hardcore worship on some faster riffs to make the whole compositions even heavier. By the way, while we are going on listening to this album, the prevalence of the thrash metal elements is evident.

“The First Supper” has more direct riffs and impulsive up tempo sections. The solos are ultra fast and shredded. Being a quite long track, the mid-paced sections are here as well but they are always quite catchy and well-structured. “Unearthed” has a weird, dark start to turn into a more complex thrash metal track, full of breaks and sudden restarts with galloping riffs. “Shadows of the Past” has a riff, the main at the beginning that could perfectly fit in a more technical thrash metal album. The Slayer influences by the fast restarts are really heavy. “Are you Deaf?” shows more hardcore oriented riffs on the mid-paced progression while the faster parts are just a collection of impulsive proto-blast beats.

“I Dare You” is definitely more canonical in its thrash metal progression. The impulsive approach reigns supreme here and the ultra fast bass drums beats are just amazing as the one on the snare are essentially primitive in style. The riffs are galloping once more and the solos add bestiality to this already brutal collection of fast parts. The last “Ascension Day” follows the same style with catchy but brutal riffs and the frontal assault of the drumming. The vocal are quite raspy and low but never too much, conserving the perfect german thrash tonality.

At the end, I always prefer the first effort but this one is remarkable too if you prefer a more thrash metal oriented songwriting. The only weak point is the production but the rest is good. Prepare yourself for higher thrash impact here and even some more hardcore moments like on “Are You Deaf?”