© 2002-2021

Exsecrator - Vehemence of Human Displeasure - 70%

Phuling, April 23rd, 2008

Lately I’ve been getting a lot of stuff that at first sounds quite boring, and this was one of those promos. I thought it was a very un-inspiring and half-arsed death metal demo, but after a few more listens it’s evident that this is the opposite of half-arsed.

What is also evident right from the start is the apparent inspiration of US styled death metal, Nile and Morbid Angel are two names that keeps popping up for comparison. And it seems like Exsecrator lies somewhere in between the two said bands, with a splash of Cryptopsy. But a lot of crappy acts are inspired by great bands, so what makes these guys worth giving a listen? Well, the musicianship for once. These are no amateurs, they sure know both how to compose and play with excellence. The guitars lay a thick and heavy foundation of wicked riffing and killer solos, while the relentlessly grinding and mangling drums, going from super-fast to slow and right back to full throttle in a heartbeat, adds murderous brutality to the tunes. The bass sounds a bit weak, though. It’s not as kick-ass brutal as I’d like it to be. The vocals are great and very brutal, but the sound is a bit blatant, and not in a good way. But the technicality and fierceness of the tunes makes up for it.

The opening track has Italian lyrics, so I have no idea what’s going on there, and from the other two lyrics I would have guessed it’s pretty much the same stuff as we usually get in the death metal genre. But the accompanied promo sheet says the lyrics are focused on “history, philosophy and personal visions”. What visions that might be, I have no idea! The demo also includes six videos from a live gig, but since it’s so dark you can hardly see the guys on stage and you can barely hear the vocals most of the time, it doesn’t do anything for me. This is a very good demo and it’ll be interesting to see what they can come up with the next time around.

Originally written for http://www.mylastchapter.net