© 2002-2020

I should love this, but... - 75%

SonicBlast190, April 3rd, 2011

There is no reason why I shouldn't love this album. On paper, it's got everything I've wanted out of Exodus since Bonded by Blood: louder bass, gritty vocals, and competent drumming. But for some reason, I just can't love it. On paper, this is the best Exodus album. To my ears, not so much.

Don't get me wrong, it's a fucking killer album. It's got some of my favorite Exodus tunes on it, the production is far better than it was on the previous albums, and so on. But there's just something about it that turns me off about it. Believe me, I've tried to see what's wrong with it. But so far, I think it's the riffs and the lyrics, they're great, but not very memorable like the ones on Fabulous Disaster.

Now on to the positive aspects of the album. The production, like stated before, is much better, Zetro yells like a fucking demon, John Tempesta is an acceptable replacement for Tom Hunting, the duo of Hunolt/Holt slip up a bit, but are still quite capable of kicking your ass, and you can actually hear Rob McKillop's bass.

If there's one thing that got better, though, it's the solos. I didn't care for the ones on Pleasures of the Flesh or Bonded by Blood, and they seem to have improved a lot since Fabulous Disaster.

Contrary to what I may seem to be saying, I actually think it's an underrated album. It's not a major fuck up, but it's not something to put on a pedestal like Fabulous Disaster.

There are some surefire classics here that kick your ass through and through until the end. Such as the title track, A.W.O.L., Thrash Under Pressure, and Objection Overruled. But most tracks have the problem of losing my attention halfway through the song. Such as Changing of the Guard, The Lunatic Parade, Only Death Decides, and Heads You Win (Tails You Lose). There's no stinker on this album, but they just don't grab me.

That being said, it's still a killer album and one of the most underrated in the Exodus catalog. If you're a new Exodus listener, then don't mind me, I'm just nitpicking, you should totally listen to it.