Thrash in the 90's - 90%

Chopped_in_Half, April 4th, 2008

It's 1992, and thrash is on it's last legs, this would be the start of grunge, but still, some bands managed to still release some solid albums, Exodus being one of them, as proven with "Impact is Immiment" in 1990.

Now this album takes a different direction, it's still thrash, but it's more midpaced/groove, it can be compared to Testament's "The Ritual", it's like nothing Exodus released before.

The production is absolutely amazing, if I could change it today, I would not, as everything sounds right in the mix...even the bass.

Another small line-up change for this album, Mike Butler replaces Rob McKillop on this one, and does an admiral job.

Now if I explained all the song, I would be here all day, because theres 15, so I'll mention the ones that I think stand out, first off, the opening track "Thorn in my Side" is a great opener, with a killer sludgy main riff, and it all flows nicely, sets the tone for the rest of the album, next, the title track, this just shreds, this is more like Impact is Imminent, great chorus and a shredding solo.

"Fuel for the Fire" Has some great catchy leads and riffs, and great vocals as always by "Zetro", next off is "One Foot in the Grave" this is a really slow, grinding tune, kind of like the title track on Testament's "The Ritual" and it's heavy as all hell, with another great solo.

"Architect of Pain" Now this, I think, is the best song on here hands down, it features some great melodic leads, and it changes tempo quite a bit throughout, and it has time to, as it's 11 minutes long, the song itself is a journey, the longest song Exodus ever did, "Good Day to Die" is very different, Zetro's vocals change in this one, from a more clean sound, to his more known raspy snarl, but it works well.

Last is the closer "Telepathetic" as you probably guessed, it's against telepathic related things, it's pretty fast throughout, with alot of riot shouted vocals.

Now, theres other good songs on here, but there are too many to list off, bottom line, if you like, say Testament's "The Ritual" then you should like this, you need to have an open mind, they tried something different with this album, and it worked for me.