© 2002-2022

Find Me Sitting By Myself - 72%

Sweetie, March 24th, 2020

Having been around since 2009, Excuse are a group of thrashers that hail from Finland, delivering a rather unconventional brand. Simply labeling their debut album Prophets From The Occultic Cosmos thrash could be misleading. Though the riffing style and overall attitude constitutes the same things that satisfy a mosh-friendly spin, I would place this higher on the technicality scale. The production is also very different, casting noisy auras over oddly clean leads. Not to mention, there are a lot of sadder sounding vibes here, another thing to set it apart.

Considering that there are only six songs that make this up, you're guaranteed to have some longer ones that branch off into tangents. These songs are where you'll dig up the moodier passages, laying on more atmosphere than actual aggression. Room for altered tempos and tones is cleared for that, but I can't say that Excuse really have transitions nailed down. "Goddess Injustice" is one that tackles this concept a bit better, as the riffing takes gradual progression with wailing licks that sink into a thrashing rhythmic onslaught. I can't say that opener "Black Crystal Visions" is the same way. The compositions that make this up are pleasant, but the entire track is an awkward listen, especially when the whinier guitars with hints of melancholy let themselves in.

To the opposite of that point, there are songs that keep things straightforward. "Blade Of Antichrist" hardly sets itself apart from the more common acts, loosening the reins a bit. The attitude still reaches its peak during "Goddess Injustice," and I think it's safe to say that it's my favorite track here. The vocals are a large part of that. They're injected with plenty of rasp, and the way they team with the speedier chugs ring in reflections of grittier traditional/speed bands. Vanik is one that comes to mind, though Prophets From The Occultic Cosmos is easily more advanced than that regarding technicality. But, I don't think I'd say that it's more enjoyable.

I would consider this a pretty strong debut album, but I did expect a bit more due to the other small releases prior. The potential isn't realized yet, and there's a lot of sloppiness. By the time the epic closer "Watchtower Of The Trans-Dimensional Pathway" ends, I've definitely had enough. I'm glad that Excuse didn't go overboard and make an overly long effort. Worth checking out for sure, there are some niche things to dig up.