Great cosmic thrash record - 87%

DMhead777, December 2nd, 2019
Written based on this version: 2019, Digital, Shadow Kingdom Records

I got recommended this band by the Youtube channel "BangerTV" who reviews latest metal albums. I usually take their recommendations pretty seriously as they all have great music taste. I forget which reviewer recommended this album, but I am really glad they did. This was a cosmic and thrashy trip that I didn't know I needed. Unfortunately I am listening to the digital version as I haven't picked up the lp yet. That means I don't have access to lyrics. I tried looking up lyrics to this release, but couldn't find them anywhere. That would inhibit some people from talking about the album. I have to tell you though, this album rips even though I don't know what the hell they're saying.

"Prophets from the Occultic Cosmos" is a perfect title for this kind of album. From the artwork alone you know what this album is going to give the listener. The intro song has an intro of its own and it sets the overall atmosphere for the rest of the album. The instrumentals and vocals have a layer of echo attached that, to me, feels like they are playing in a wide open area. It's distant and, as lame as it sounds, mysterious. Maybe I haven't heard a thrash record with this kind of atmosphere, but it sounds the way the movie The Void looks. I get that it may not make sense to a lot of people. I just couldn't stop thinking about this one movie throughout the entire album. It just feels like there is inter-dimensional beings coming out of a black hole. As I said, I have no idea what the hell they are saying. I am just going on pure atmosphere and instrumentals here.

This band has a ton of talent. The vocals fit the music perfectly and the solos are extremely well done. You can hear every instrument being banged out from track to track. There are multiple solos in each song and it keeps you invested throughout the entire 38 minute run time. The song structure is unbelievable. Usually thrash records are short and to the point. This album has six songs and two of them are over seven minutes long. It never feels long or had me checking to see if it was almost over. A thrash album that keeps me this invested while simultaneously taking me to a great place in my head is a great experience. I felt like Andy Dufresne not wanting to know what that woman was saying when he was playing the record in Shawshank Redemption.

Just listen to this record. It's a banger and probably one of my favorites this year. I am going to seek out the album immediately and I hope this band gets the recognition it deserves on some "best of 2019" lists.