© 2002-2022

Find Me Sitting By Myself - 72%

Sweetie, March 24th, 2020

Having been around since 2009, Excuse are a group of thrashers that hail from Finland, delivering a rather unconventional brand. Simply labeling their debut album Prophets From The Occultic Cosmos thrash could be misleading. Though the riffing style and overall attitude constitutes the same things that satisfy a mosh-friendly spin, I would place this higher on the technicality scale. The production is also very different, casting noisy auras over oddly clean leads. Not to mention, there are a lot of sadder sounding vibes here, another thing to set it apart.

Considering that there are only six songs that make this up, you're guaranteed to have some longer ones that branch off into tangents. These songs are where you'll dig up the moodier passages, laying on more atmosphere than actual aggression. Room for altered tempos and tones is cleared for that, but I can't say that Excuse really have transitions nailed down. "Goddess Injustice" is one that tackles this concept a bit better, as the riffing takes gradual progression with wailing licks that sink into a thrashing rhythmic onslaught. I can't say that opener "Black Crystal Visions" is the same way. The compositions that make this up are pleasant, but the entire track is an awkward listen, especially when the whinier guitars with hints of melancholy let themselves in.

To the opposite of that point, there are songs that keep things straightforward. "Blade Of Antichrist" hardly sets itself apart from the more common acts, loosening the reins a bit. The attitude still reaches its peak during "Goddess Injustice," and I think it's safe to say that it's my favorite track here. The vocals are a large part of that. They're injected with plenty of rasp, and the way they team with the speedier chugs ring in reflections of grittier traditional/speed bands. Vanik is one that comes to mind, though Prophets From The Occultic Cosmos is easily more advanced than that regarding technicality. But, I don't think I'd say that it's more enjoyable.

I would consider this a pretty strong debut album, but I did expect a bit more due to the other small releases prior. The potential isn't realized yet, and there's a lot of sloppiness. By the time the epic closer "Watchtower Of The Trans-Dimensional Pathway" ends, I've definitely had enough. I'm glad that Excuse didn't go overboard and make an overly long effort. Worth checking out for sure, there are some niche things to dig up.

Great cosmic thrash record - 87%

DMhead777, December 2nd, 2019
Written based on this version: 2019, Digital, Shadow Kingdom Records (Bandcamp)

I got recommended this band by the Youtube channel "BangerTV" who reviews latest metal albums. I usually take their recommendations pretty seriously as they all have great music taste. I forget which reviewer recommended this album, but I am really glad they did. This was a cosmic and thrashy trip that I didn't know I needed. Unfortunately I am listening to the digital version as I haven't picked up the lp yet. That means I don't have access to lyrics. I tried looking up lyrics to this release, but couldn't find them anywhere. That would inhibit some people from talking about the album. I have to tell you though, this album rips even though I don't know what the hell they're saying.

"Prophets from the Occultic Cosmos" is a perfect title for this kind of album. From the artwork alone you know what this album is going to give the listener. The intro song has an intro of its own and it sets the overall atmosphere for the rest of the album. The instrumentals and vocals have a layer of echo attached that, to me, feels like they are playing in a wide open area. It's distant and, as lame as it sounds, mysterious. Maybe I haven't heard a thrash record with this kind of atmosphere, but it sounds the way the movie The Void looks. I get that it may not make sense to a lot of people. I just couldn't stop thinking about this one movie throughout the entire album. It just feels like there is inter-dimensional beings coming out of a black hole. As I said, I have no idea what the hell they are saying. I am just going on pure atmosphere and instrumentals here.

This band has a ton of talent. The vocals fit the music perfectly and the solos are extremely well done. You can hear every instrument being banged out from track to track. There are multiple solos in each song and it keeps you invested throughout the entire 38 minute run time. The song structure is unbelievable. Usually thrash records are short and to the point. This album has six songs and two of them are over seven minutes long. It never feels long or had me checking to see if it was almost over. A thrash album that keeps me this invested while simultaneously taking me to a great place in my head is a great experience. I felt like Andy Dufresne not wanting to know what that woman was saying when he was playing the record in Shawshank Redemption.

Just listen to this record. It's a banger and probably one of my favorites this year. I am going to seek out the album immediately and I hope this band gets the recognition it deserves on some "best of 2019" lists.