Masterpiece - 90%

Diabolical_Vengeance, January 21st, 2004

There is a feeling that very few albums give. The feeling when you first pop the CD into your player, the first few seconds of music trickle out of your speakers, you sit back and say ‘I’m in for something special’. That was my very feeling when the first piano strains of this album began playing from my speakers. A massive wall of guitars began to flood my sound system for the next 65+ minutes. Evoken are a band that anyone who knows anything about doom metal need no introduction to.

For the uninitiated they hail from the miserable urban swamps of New Jersey, not where you’d normally expect to find a doom band but Evoken are far from normal.

I must give kudos to the producer (I’ve forgotten his name) who has managed to translate much of Evoken’s heavy sound onto disc without it sounding muddy or overly distorted. Every chord and note is clearly heard and to be distinguished. Every word, be it growl, scream, spoken or whispered is clearly heard as well. I cannot emphasize enough that the guitar tone on this album is massive. The phrase Wall of sound should have Quietus as its defintion. If you listen to this album loud enough, it almost feels like an anvil (to use a bad pun) has been suddenly dropped onto your chest. As a guitarist myself I’m in love with reverb and there is tons of it on this album! Another commendable aspect of this album is the use of the cello. Instead of using it as most bands would be satisfied using (as a lead instrument full of these self-pitying melodies) Evoken use it to complement their slothful metal assault, as best witnessed in the opening track In Pestilence Burning. Evoken’s forte, to me, has always been atmosphere over melancholy, the reverse of a band like MDB. They achieve an atmosphere on many of these songs (Tending the Dire Hatred, Where Ghosts Fall Silent, Embrace the Emptiness) that most Black Metal bands try vainly to achieve and would make their corpsepaint turn green in envy. In the right mood, or stoned, Evoken can take you on a mystical journey through mist filled forests lit by moonlight where the sorrows of a thousand souls have been laid before you.

Fans of this disc will appreciate this bands other releases. All are much in the same style, though without the benefit of the lovely production. Fans of other American doom bands such as Morgion, November’s Doom and Mindrot may find much to enjoy in this New Jersey act. LET THERE BE DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM