© 2002-2020

Nothing more than a standard ambient/black single - 65%

Verd, October 23rd, 2011

Eternal Eclipse (not to be mistaken for the much more famous black metal act called Eclipse Eternal from Canada, of course) is a rather young one-man band from Oregon, created by mastermind T.J. and devoted to a pretty canonical ambient/black metal with elements taken from the so-called suicidal/depressive subgenre, i.e. song titles like An absurd and ugly world (a good track you can find on Eternal Eclipse's homonymous 2011 EP) and so on.

Since the standard aspects of these subgenres are mainly the use of scream/raw/distorted vocals, repetitive and not-always-creative guitar riffs, omnipresent drum machines and lyrics related to suicide/negativity/melancholy etc. (the lenght of the songs may vary, but it's hard to find tracks shorter than 5/6 minutes to be honest), when I said that this "Extinction and isolation" single was a canonical ambient/DSBM release I was trying to prepare the listener to nothing new at all, since here you can hear everything that you can also hear on thousands of other singles/demos somehow insertable in those subgenres I was talking about.

The songs itself, since there's only one song in this single, is called Extinction and isolation and it tries in six minutes to recreate these two despairing feelings, and I have to admit that it succeedes pretty well in those I think were Eternal Eclipse's goals. The drum machine that accompanies the whole song is well programmed and moderately slow, and so are the guitars - playing in a style that looks a lot like the one belonging to bands like Twilight, Abyssic Hate, Happy Days and, at some extent, Lifelover. Most of the song is instrumental (i.e. a distorted guitar plays some slow melody - don't forget that the keywords are extinction and isolation - with a drum machine in the background), since T.J.'s voice enters only after the first 4 minutes and only for a little part; his voice isn't bad at all, although - of course - if you have been listening to suicidal/depressive or ambient black metal for years it will sound to you pretty standard and not original at all. It fits well the whole song, but since T.J. on this single sings for less than a minute - and since there are no acoustic/melodic breaks or passages at all - when the track comes to an end you won't likely remember anything memorable - or at least, this has been my experience.

In the end, we don't hear anything new in this single by a one-man band that is still young, of course, but this is only a partial excuse, mainly because it was legitimate to expect something more from a single with only one track in it. I suggest to those who like the subgenre(s) I talked about in this review to give a try not only to this single but even to the "Depraved civilization" demo and to the "Eternal eclipse" EP by this American guy - you won't hear anything new even in these releases (at least in the EP T.J. sings more than here!), but they'll be some enjoyable recordings to listen to for sure.