© 2002-2021

My Ire Is My Armor - 83%

LickMyOrangeBallsHalfling, January 12th, 2021

This is one of those albums where the cover really sums it all up, which is to say that it's the auditory equivalent of a heavily muscled, loincloth-clad man, mowing down rows of enemies with a sword, relishing in battle, victory, and, true to the Frazetta-esque style, women with big butts. "The Armor of Ire" distills that vibe into some rousing epic metal, a bit on the shorter side for the genre, but still thrilling.

Like most epic heavy metal, there's a big emphasis on storytelling here. While he does draw from existing fiction for his lyrics, Jason Tarpey goes beyond the usual standard of lyricism for the genre, and he even delves into a self-created universe on "I Am The Hammer." Even on the songs that are based on existing fiction, the lyrics are still great and enthralling. As for his skills as a singer, he draws from the nasally tradition of the late great Mark Shelton. I'll admit that his voice can be a little monotonous at times, but overall it's a good fit for the music, and he does his job well. The music is where this album really shines. It boasts a fuzzy yet massive guitar sound, it actually kind of reminds me of a stoner metal album in terms of tone. Most of the songs on here are fairly mid-paced, but althought that might be a weakness for other bands, it's at that speed where they shine. "The Last King of Pictdom" is one of my favorites on here, just riff after riff of goodness. The fastest that the album really gets is the title track, which also happens to be one of my favorites.

So what's the problem? Well, it's just too short for an album like this. Not counting the two instrumental tracks, which are pretty inconsequential and unnecessary, and not counting the minute of ambient noise at the beginning of "I Am The Hammer," there's less than a half hour of material here, which might work for a hardcore album, but is pretty disappointing for the kind of music that Eternal Champion make. I think it would have really benefited from another song or two. But I guess it might be better to have too little music than to have filler songs that don't live up to the standard of the rest of the album.