© 2002-2018

Erupdead - Abyss Of The Unseen - 94%

Edmund Sackbauer, September 11th, 2018
Written based on this version: 2017, CD, Czar of Bullets (Digipak)

While maybe not as prominent as in other countries Switzerland has a really impressive Metal scene. Especially when it comes to Death Metal there are several records in my collection that were produced in this country like e.g. Requiem or Cremation to mention just 2 quality examples from the top of my head.

Talking about the sound presented on “Abyss Of The Unseen” those 2 bands are quite good indicators as Erupdead play a similar style of mainly Old School Death Metal with major influences from the US scene. Bands coming to mind would be Deicide or the reawakened Monstrosity. Erupdead use a similar style of combining fast and brutal parts with a lot of groove. While the drumming is relentless and pretty speedy most of the time the guitars often work as counterpart in a more stoic and hypnotic manner. This approach leads to a certain Swedish feeling being part of the overall sound as well.

That all said Erupdead are not just copycats. The guys take all these well-known elements, rearrange and twist them before putting them back together and add other details to inject their own DNA into the sound. For once there are some highly melodic interludes and harmonies that are perfectly woven into the sound. They create a lot of atmosphere within the tracks with some lead parts having a certain melancholic and hypnotic feeling. On the other hand some of the chords have more of a chugging vibe to them with the track “Unhumanizer” being a prime example of this. That might be the reason that Deathcore is mentioned as second genre but to my ears “Abyss Of The Unseen” is mainly pure and filthy DM. The instrumentation is fantastic and while there are several more technical sections things never get too complicated.

While the tempo is quite high for the most parts there are also some slower sections in which the music is creepily dripping out of the speakers. These pieces help kicking the intensity of the whole affair up another notch. In those parts singer Sebbi sounds even more sinister and evil than in the faster ones. His growling is of the highest order and also his blackish screaming vocals are delivered in great fashion. Based on his angriness expressed on this record this is a dude I would not want to meet alone at night.

The production is raw and nasty but offers enough power and punchiness to please the most demanding listeners. The mix of the instruments is clear without sounding to glossy or polished. The riffing sounds thick and crunchy and even the bass can be perfectly heard. The cover artwork is great as well reminding me a bit of the movie “Valhalla Rising”.

“Abyss Of The Unseen” has been a great surprise and is another example of a hard-working band that would deserve a lot more attention. I guess I need to check out their older stuff as well.