© 2002-2021

EREBUS ENTHRONED: "Night's Black Angel" - 60%

skaven, January 11th, 2013

If we think about the impact of a band like Watain to the world, it comes as no surprise that there's been plenty of followers thereafter, and why not? The aforementioned band's utterly dark and Satanic take on black metal, whilst still retaining a quite accessible touch due to clear production and semi-melodic elements, was and is manna for many. The only problem resided in the copycat bands that followed the footsteps too closely, providing nothing novel whatsoever.

As soon as Erebus Enthroned's debut Night's Black Angel kicks in with ”Enthroning the Harbinger of Death”, I'm a little afraid. Oh oh, here we go again with another identical record combining the sounds of Watain and Marduk. But fortunately I was somewhat wrong and repeated listens have made a surprisingly decent whole to surface. True, almost every nuance of the record reeks of familiar elements, from the ringing, dissonant chords to the mid-level screams and overall song progressions, but I'm still grabbed pretty well by the first track. After that a few weaker links appear, but the kind-of-interlude ”Horns of Severity” bring some fresh air to the game with its ritualistic, melodic patterns. ”Temple of Dispersion” is another that stands out due to being a harrowing ambient piece in between the palm-muted, blasting black metal that at times sounds just too familiar.

Had this album been released ten years ago, it would have reached a legendary state I guess. But now after at least a couple of dozens of similar takes on this branch of contemporary black metal have come out already, Night's Black Angel has a hard time rising from the mass to reach its fans. I personally enjoyed the album a lot more than I often do when it comes to this category (e.g. the recent Sacrilegious Impalement pales in comparison), so hopefully these words are at least a vague contribution to promote Erebus Enthroned's skill over many others in the field.

3 / 5
[ http://www.vehementconjuration.com/ ]

Good Night - 40%

CrimsonFloyd, October 15th, 2012

Night’s Black Angel is the debut full length from the Aussie black metal act Erebus Enthroned. The band plays a brand of black metal that is clean but heavy, recalling Swedish acts such as Marduk and Dark Funeral and to a lesser degree, the Norwegian legends Satyricon. The performance is tight and crisp. The guitars have some real muscle and the drums have enough backbone to hold them up. The vocals are dry and husky and are full of hate and power. This is tough guy black metal, for sure.

While Erebus Enthroned has its style clearly developed its substance remains in an embryotic stage. Most of the riffs convey a decent amount aggression, but Erebus Enthroned never really develops that feeling into a chilling riff or standout passage. There's just a dearth of creativity in the songwriting and arrangements. Night’s Black Angel is mostly a steady flow of vaguely familiar riffs placed in song structures that are as predictable as the alphabet. The closest the band gets to a killer track is “Horns of Severity,” which has a menacing, melodic hook that fits perfectly with the war march pattern of the drums. Still, this sounds better than it actually is due to its placement amidst a sea of rehashed riffs. Listen to the song again out of the context of the album and it isn't as impressive.

Those who really love the Swedish black metal might enjoy hearing an Australian take on the style. Yet, even fans of the Swedish style will find it hard to justify giving this album too many listens when they could dust off the classics and hear something sounds fresher and is higher in quality. As it stands, this group has a long way to go before its music is as regal as its name.

Originally written for deafsparrow.com

Erebus Enthoned – Night’s Black Angel - 70%

Asag_Asakku, August 5th, 2012

Australia is a historically fascinating country. Former England colony, it housed British Empire most violent scum. This surely partly explains the appearance of a local black metal scene, which Enthoned Erebus is a proud member! Band formed in 2006, it produced a demo in 2007 and an EP two years later. But it launched only recently its first album, Night's Black Angel. Forget about bucolic images from vintage Skippy TV show, it is brutality and Satanism we are talking about here!

This band from Sydney offers a strong traditional black metal, based on various riffs and several changes of pace, thus avoiding the trap of linearity. However, comparisons with some Swedish bands are inevitable. Pillar of Fallen Flesh clearly evokes Dissection and its many followers, through the merger of death and thrash metal. The group still managed to have a sound of its own, that we can distinguish particularly on the martial Horns of Severity or the excellent Virus. Temple of Dispersion, an ambient and instrumental song, is the weak point of the album. It adds nothing to the disc and even breaks its rhythm, trying to give it a superfluous creepy side. It might have been better to place it at the end and leave the very good title track to the penultimate place. The latter song, fast and well balanced, still represents perfectly the band’s characteristics, illustrating – once again – its illustrious Scandinavian influences.

Even at the other end of the world, we can find talented bands launching very good black metal albums. Erebus Enthroned, whose fame grows in the land of koalas, probably seeks a career out of their island. That CD might well be their passport.

Originally written for Métal Obscur.

Killer Debut!! - 86%

cweed, May 27th, 2012

Before moving to Australia, I had never heard of these guys. When I first saw their logo on the flyer for the upcoming Absu tour, I just assumed the band was going to be your typical, amateurish, symphonic black metal mess...probably a combination of me associating the band's name with the UK's Hecate Enthroned and my assumption that Sydney wasn't exactly the most evil place in the world. Obviously, I was completely in the wrong, and have been consistently impressed with both Erebus Enthroned's performances both live (they're absolutely fucking intense) and on this debut album.

I was immediately surprised by two things when I heard "Night's Black Angel". First of all, the production matches that of any of your modern-day, European, blackened powerhouses (think Dark Funeral, Watain, etc.). While the drums are fucking loud and the vocals are slightly buried in the mix, it works with the overall atmosphere of the album very well...it would have ruined the album if everything had been given a production value similar to uber-polished stuff like Dimmu Borgir's latest albums. The rough, aggressive production was definitely a wise move, for sure. What also surprised me about this album was the fact that these dudes are quite good musicians and could easily hold their own as an international touring band should they choose to play any metal fests in Europe or South America, as their live show is an excellent representation of their recorded material. Soulful solos, furious blasts, Nihilifer's intense vocals and Satanic lyrics, these dudes pull it off both on and offstage.

My only criticism of this album would be that sound-wise it is fairly unoriginal. Yes, it will rape your soul, but at this point by listening to "Night's Black Angel" it's clear that the band is capable of playing really great stuff and really pushing it to the extreme while still retaining the genre's most orthodox elements and characteristics. Yeah yeah, it's somewhat of a reviewer cop-out, but I seriously expect their next album will be truly special and potentially push these guys into the internationally recognized black metal elite by combining killer songwriting with a nihilistic, dark intensity. Keep an eye out for these guys!!

Angels of the south... - 70%

Mark Ashby, March 1st, 2012

Think of Australia and you think of beautiful sun-kissed babes on equally beautiful sun-kissed beaches, while beefcake brutes hide under hats with corks round them, swilling beer and dishing out advice on their love lives to weedy bruces back here in soaking old blighty.

OK. OK, before all our Aussie friends start kicking in the doors of EM, we know that this is a characterization, but the land down under is hardly perceived as a hotbed of Satanism and the dark arts...more the art of finding the next party (or virgin to sacrifice, but not in a strapped-to-the-altar-way – or, then again… no, we’ll not go there…). But apparently there is an extremely...erm ...healthy black metal scene on the sunshine continent with a veritable plethora of corpse-painted, leather-clad bands crawling out from under the shadow of Uluru (that’s Ayres Rock to us) and into the darklight.

Among the vanguard are this particular lot who have been around for about five years, emphasizing what until now has been very much the underground existence of the Australian black metal scene, have only now gotten around to releasing their first album thanks to the establishment of a native label dedicated to the genre.

Taking their name from the Greek primeval god of darkness and with song titles such as ‘Enthroning The Harbinger Of Death’, it's not hard to guess what to expect, and Erebus Enthroned don’t disappoint as this is nine tracks of as dark and evil metal as you're likely to stumble across. There’s nothing particular original as they don’t mess with the tried and tested BM formula (right down to the production values), but it is a competent offering and one with a few worthy moments, such as ‘Nil (Solve Non Coagula)’ and ‘Blackwinged’, which deserve the attention of the dark forces on this side of the world.

(This review was originally published on www.uberrock.co.uk)

Awaken the progenitor of ancient death! - 75%

autothrall, August 30th, 2011

I had read quite a few good things about this Australian black metal outfit's debut, and while the style on exhibit here is hardly 'news', I must say that for once, such early praise is far from empty. There's definitely a Norse or Swedish spin to the composition, somewhere between Mayhem and Emperor, delivered through full bodied riffing, dynamic variation and high production standards, comparable to many of the 1st tier genre staples. I would actually draw a parallel to their countrymen Nazxul, only without the symphonic streak coursing through their latest, Iconoclast. Sure, there are a lot of more unique artists in the spectrum with a more memorable admixture of ingredients, but Night's Black Angel is raging and competent enough to win some attention from genre adherents, even though several traits feel standard to the medium (like the vocals).

One of the most noteworthy characteristics of the album is the lack of dependency on sheer blasting material. They can accelerate at will, but instead they incorporate lots of mid-paced, harrowing grooves and spikes of fibrous tremolo picked riffs with tails of bright dissonance. Dense, efficiently thrashing mute-streams that jerk the listener about like a puppet in the grasp of the devil. There are also arching, glorious bridges in the riffs of "Enthroning the Harbinger of Death" "Zealotry in Death" and the title track. Threads of dark, droning ambiance are often used to roll out the black, thriving guitars, but there is one track here ("Temple of Dispersion") which is sheer instrumental ambient horror. Perhaps the best songs are those with the slicing, blustering rhythms like "Nil (Solve non Coagula)" and "Blackwinged", both of which recall the underrated Swedish crew Mörk Gryning in their latter stage of modern propulsion, or several of their peers (Marduk, Dark Funeral, etc.)

There is nothing truly subtle about this debut, by which I mean it's not the sort of record where you'll keep hearing spectral haunts and revelations through repeated listens. They dress to impress immediately. It's quite easily ingested upon the first encounter, and thus it's not incredibly compelling in the long term, despite the high level of precision and competence felt through all the musicians' performances. I will say that their lyrics are fucking ace, though, and certainly they help ramp up what might otherwise be mistaken for a merely average effort. An incredible amount of thought has been placed in each passage, with incendiary incantations to various occult subjects that are threaded through a dreadful, nihilistic discourse that meshes well with the actual composition of the music. Erebus Enthroned could certainly gestate further to write a darker, more memorable onslaught, but I can't deny that Night's Black Angel provides at least a strong foundation from which to launch further atrocities.

-autothrall