Somehow capturing - 94%

Cursarion, September 9th, 2009

My impression of this album is quite contrary Znarglaxe's. I got to know this band and album in 2004 or 2005 and my musical taste has expanded tremendously since, to drone doom, raw black and goregrind, as well as styles completely outside metal. Some things I've abandoned almost completely along the road, but I always seem to return to this album. Gone just seems to capture the essence of gothic metal perfectly - it's melodic, romantic, atmospheric and melancholic, and it also seems to have some depth.

I've listened through my fair share of gothic metal albums and while doing that, I've noticed the strength of this album stands out more and more. Song material is far more diverse than on many of the other comparable albums. "Snow White Suicide", "New Dawn" and "Silence Is Killing Me" represent to me the basic catchy melodic gothic metal song - nearly perfect example of it - while "Closer (My Love)" and "Grace" beautifully extend the melancholic and romantic side of it. Despite the forementioned do what they're supposed to more than well, "Losing the Ground", "Thru the Darkness" and "Blood of Your Soul" have even more in them. They're bigger and better, bit more complex and deep. Some bands, including Entwine later on their career, concentrate too much on making the songs radio-friendly, but I don't think that is the case here. The album just seems very real and natural.

Musically the album is what you can expect from a gothic metal album, guitars aren't too heavy and have lots of melodic leads, keyboards are in a major role and bass and drums are more in the background, though the sounds are clear and all of the instruments can be heard. There's no exact virtuosity, but every instrument fills its place, which is kind of the purpose of a band after all. The vocals might be bit whining in the opinions of some, but they work almost perfectly for me as the vocalist sounds manly and sentimental enough, fitting the music. The album isn't too short or long either, though it nicely leaves the listener crave for more. The convenient musicianship, great songs and great production form a great entirety here. Gone actually seems to be even more than what it is made of - you just don't seem to grow tired, but can return to it time after time and it stays enjoyable to listen. That's a sign of a very good album.

Considering 100% equals perfection, why am I giving it 94% then? Gone indeed is probably the best album in its style. I just like to think it's possible to top everything.