© 2002-2020

Brutal Death Metal with essence intact - 85%

KC, January 3rd, 2014

If there’s anything these Bulgarians are doing right, it’s playing Death Metal with brutality without compromising on its essence. By that I mean, speed and technicality is fine, but what about the riffs and catchiness or memorability for that matter? Too often bands these days overlook this crucial fact because of which they get lost in the sea of faceless bands. Cannibal Corpse was brutal but why aren’t the band’s clones as popular as Cannibal Corpse? Or even remembered as fondly – the answer is simple, the music had real riffs, catchiness combined with heaviness, it was music that stood the test of time. Admittedly that band was the first one to play music with such a shock value and that stuck, but it’s a moot point if you disregard that the riffing was a class apart. Enthrallment is such a band – on the face of it, it’s not doing something overly brutal or shocking, but the compositions and riffs are a class apart. I can’t believe this band isn’t more popular – I’d take this any day over these hundreds of CC or Suffo clones.

Enthrallment’s Death Metal is comparable to that of the Dutch bands, heavy and fat, chunky riffing with the Floridian Death Metal touch of bands like Monstrosity and Morbid Angel, especially in the chugging which is done with some class not as a substitute for riffs. The songs actually have structures and you can actually differentiate between songs. This is as brutal as it can get, and beyond that it’s redundant – what’s the point if it’s all blast and no substance? This band has substance. There are leads, build-ups, breakdowns, tightness, skill and phenomenal level of competence. Admittedly, the music isn’t original or flashy, but it’s extremely well-played.

This makes the Death Metal fan in me happy – I remember the time when I wanted music that was catchy and compelling, and this is just that. It doesn’t give you a headache, it gives you a smile. And plenty of reasons to. One word review for this album would be – effective. It’s hard to do so much right, in a time when writers can’t even differentiate between good and bad Death Metal. This is humongous, Death Metal with all its essence taken forward, but only so much till the band can do justice to it.

Originally online at Transcending Obscurity - www.transcendingobscurity.com