© 2002-2020

So there is still proper Swedish death metal... - 80%

redless, October 7th, 2011

I had been thinking that since Kaamos split up, there was no hope for Sweden to export some proper death metal anymore. Thanks to Ensnared and Nuclear Winter Records, I have been proven wrong.

This demo tape consists of 3 songs of pure death metal assault and is an excellent choice for anyone who enjoys ancient death metal. The production is reminiscent of Altars era Morbid Angel, though the riffs are a little bit more distinct than those on Altars of Madness. The rhythm guitar parts themselves have a nice variation. The band is trying to form their identity, fusing elements of European and American death/black metal. This fact leads to the music sounding familiar but not generic. The drummer is an unstoppable beast and his style sounds like a blend of early Pete Sandoval, Chris Reifert and Nicke Andersson. The bass is expectedly not seeking a major role in the mix but works exactly as it should for this specific style of death metal. The vocals are great and old-school as they should. The lyrics are unexpectedly "immature" for a Nuclear Winter Records band and I guess that Incantation is not one of their top favourite bands, and that's to my surprise. However, I believe that as the band's sound evolves, the lyrical themes will become more essentialy dark.

My personal highlight is closing song "Adorations (The dance of madness)", with its excellent ending solo bringing memories of Swedish death metal groups and even some 70's hard rock!

All in all, if you like primordial ancient bestial death metal or any band that has released anything on Nuclear Winter Records, this is a good choice for you. Personally, I'll be watching closely for their next moves.

Primitive Swedish Death Metal! - 80%

ultraviolet, September 16th, 2011

Emerging from the ashes of Gravehammer, Swedish act Ensnared present us yet another view of their homeland’s old-school death metal. Fact is that with Miasmal, Vanhelgd and, most of all, Repugnant, Swedish death metal has revived for good, getting rid of the joke named NWOSDM.

Back to our demo tape though, while Gravehammer sounded nothing more than an adequate band, things with Ensnared seem quite different. With three songs and thirteen minutes of harsh, uncompromising death metal they bring back memories as old as those days when Morbid, Nihilist and others were spewing out noises straight from the worst nightmares. Obviously there is no straight comparison here, only an implication of that forgotten feeling, while production helps providing them that cave-like sound without being unlistenable. Just listen to the closing track “Adorations (The Dance Of Madness)” with the guitars attacking non-stop, only to give way to an epic outro solo.

So any fans out there of bands like Morbid, old Entombed, Nominon and Reugnant, this demo tape is here to pave its way into your playlists. With such a fine introduction, we can only expect nothing less than a devastating debut full-length.

originally written for: